Odd Stuff (Part 5)

11 Likes

Farto is still remembered here, somewhat fondly. i remember the musical about him from a few years ago. they still stage it in Marathon, regularly.
mum and i are in key west for a few days, right now. i will see if i can get some pics at the firehouse and post them over on the IRL thread.

9 Likes
6 Likes

Awkward Season 1 GIF by Nanalan'

23 Likes

You’d have to be really quick to even have a chance with some of the transuranic elements.

10 Likes

Stick your head in the cyclotron?

12 Likes
15 Likes

And risk the taste of a booger boson?

4 Likes

22 Likes

A very lucky guy.

“But he was still making some noise, he said, and the bear “started biting my left leg a bunch, and then she bit my right leg. … She picked me up,” he said.

He stiffened and planted his elbows into the ground in the prone position that park information kiosks post about for bear attack survival. “And I really was just trying to stay on the ground as much as I could so she couldn’t flip me over and get any of my vitals.”

The most painful bite, the one that went “right to the bone” and elicited Burke’s scream, brought the bear in for what Burke believes was supposed to be the “kill bite.” She bit his hand and wrist, which positioned over his neck to protect his arteries, and then he heard a pop.

“I thought she bit into my skull and then … I felt the warm sensation flowing down my face and my neck and my back, and I was like, that’s your blood. And then suddenly I hear her thump, thump, thump thump, thump. Just running away.”

Fortunately, it wasn’t blood on his neck. It was the bear spray he’d been gripping in his hand as he covered the back of his neck. The bear bit into the can. Burke believes that bite saved his life.

21 Likes

18 Likes

The segment about Biosphere 2 and Steve Bannon…

7 Likes
9 Likes
5 Likes

I just read about that night before last!

5 Likes

Why These Concrete Arrows Hide All Across The US

14 Likes
7 Likes

it was a synchronistic occurrence that @gatto posted about Bum Farto, and i read that in a bar in Key West.
then, a few hours later, i found this story in a KW local:

FTA:
Our heroes are troubled, misogynistic, mean-spirited drunks like Ernest Hemingway. He lived on the island for eight years when he was in his 30s. From 1931 to 1939, Hemingway caroused, fished and wrote a couple novels. Eighty-five years later, we’ve sandpapered off the rough edges and turned him into a rotund, white-bearded, huggable island version of Santa Claus with a red neckerchief. I wonder sometimes how many fans of Key West’s icon ever read his books.

We love our characters. Crack open to any page of a Key West-flavored novel and roll along. Heck, I do it all the time. I love the tales woven by the likes of Tom Corcoran and Carl Hiaasen. Add in the larger-than-life exploits of authors like Tennessee Williams and his pals, Truman Capote, Gore Vidal and Carson McCullers. Leaven the Key West Mystique with Jimmy Buffett, Shel Silverstein, Thomas McGuane and Hunter S. Thompson, and there’s enough fodder to last lifetimes — and that’s long before we start listing local characters who still walk our streets.

11 Likes

29 Likes

images

APE HUMANS MUST BE STOPPED AL F[A]NSOME CHECK TIRE PRESSURE RODENTS RULE YOU ARE WASTING YOUR TIME TRY ING TO DECODE THIS STO[U?]PID HUMAN RODENT REVOL[U]TION WILL WIN GO F*CK YOURS[E]LF

7 Likes