3 Likes

Where’s Buckaroo Banzai?

5 Likes

Lesbian chainsaw dominatrix

Shocked Dog GIF

4 Likes
4 Likes
4 Likes

Friend of mine knows the bass player of The Vapors quite well, and they still play a few times a year just down the road from me:

What a tuuuuuune.

4 Likes

Did I miss Trip Like a Pirate Day again?

4 Likes

11 Likes

10 Likes

:open_mouth:

3 Likes

https://archive.ph/Jgo30

4 Likes
1 Like
3 Likes
2 Likes

Long-lasting academic feuds.

5 Likes

Come for the raining plague of frogs… stay for the Aimee Mann song…

5 Likes

Mann’s half of Magnolia’s soundtrack is incredible; nice video!

When a friend who understands cinema explained to me what the frog scene meant to the story, it really blew me away. Is life mirroring art, or is it the other way around?

2 Likes

Okay, this is a really weird one. I found this stuffed in my mailbox alongside the usual flyers and whatnot. It purports to be from the Nationwide Association of Victims of Abduction, Confinement and Forced Religious Conversion, which is headed by a man named Toru Goto, who claims to be a believer in the Family Federation for World Peace and Unification (i.e. Unification Church).

This flyer details how Goto was allegedly abducted in September 1995 and then held against his will for over 12 years while being subjected to torture in an effort to get him to renounce his faith. The second page details how Goto as well as an unnamed young woman (another Moonie who was allegedly abducted for deprogramming at the age of 10 and held for over 9 years) were victims of so-called “cult deprogrammers” who had been hired by their families.

The flier claims that Goto won 22 million yen from the deprogrammer in a suit brought before the Tokyo Supreme Court, but it notes that there have been some 4,300 such cases in the past 50 years and raises concerns about further abductions now that the Japanese government has moved to dissolve the Unification Church.

I have no idea who the hell put this in my mailbox. Yikes.

4 Likes

With really tiny long arms

7 Likes

I would guess that it’s the cult using its current adherents / victims to conduct an astro turf campaign against the government’s attempts to reign them in, now that the focus is on their exploitative behaviour.

They’re probably spamming this all over to try to shift public opinion away from the whole “suck people’s savings dry while corrupting the government” thing.

6 Likes