Of $208m in fines leveled against robocallers, the FCC has collected ... $6,790

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/03/28/of-208m-in-fines-leveled-agai.html

6 Likes

So much winning… for someone.

4 Likes

The people in charge are opposed to punishing criminals. They’re opposed to even taxing them.

7 Likes

Just call them once an hour every day, asking for them to hand over the money.

8 Likes

Thanks Obama…

" I’d bet a dollar the only fines ever collected were from a tiny handful of otherwise legitimate callers who made stupid mistakes."

I’ll take that bet! (like you’ll be able to collect that dollar if I lose, hah!)

3 Likes

If fines don’t work, give em jail time instead.

6 Likes

Two people I know have dropped their landline services in the past month specifically because of robocallers and other phone scammers. Perhaps if that trend continues the telcos will see these bottom-feeders as a cost to their business rather than as a revenue opportunity and finally do something about blocking them at the server layer (who am I kidding? They’ll just make it easier for the robocallers to call mobile phones).

2 Likes

WHO ARE THESE PEOPLE, THE LOWER THAN LOW?
The news stories, and for that matter the government press releases, rarely identify the individuals who have been fined. It’s time for some public shaming. It’s time for the facts to get out. It’s time for their neighbors to insult them at Stabrocks, publish their photos on telephone poles, and call them out at church services.

1 Like

Should’ve sent these fine debts to shady collections agencies. Those a-holes are relentless.

5 Likes

The people in charge ARE criminals.

1 Like

I’m being robocalled right now.

2 Likes

If only there was a way to remind someone of their outstanding fine, over and over, at all times of the day, and most of the time, no one is on the other end.

4 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.