Officer slams student so hard to the ground she is motionless

That is some great data. Can you provide links? I will use with my local community.

7 Likes

My first reading of this is that these two statements contradict each other. I still can’t figure out if the last one is trying to say, “14 million students are in schools with police but lack one of the following: counselor, nurse, psychologist, social worker” or “14 million students are in schools that lack all of the following: counselor, nurse, psychologist, social worker”.

2 Likes

I expect it’s a Venn diagram.

4 Likes

Thank you.

ACLU data - Cops and No Counselors | American Civil Liberties Union

NY Times data - https://www.nytimes.com/2020/06/12/us/schools-police-resource-officers.amp.html

9 Likes

I do not know enough sacrilegious profanity to express my emotions over this…

3 Likes

The wonderful cop logic of, “I’m going to stop you from getting mildly injured by majorly injuring you.”

6 Likes

When I attended, we had 5000 students in our B’kyln high school, with the vast majority being male. (That second fact is significant here since males are much more likely to be physically violent.) We had no cops (rented or otherwise) anywhere on site, inside or outside. What we had were a large group of seniors who were in a student organization called the Service Squad, identified by their little lapel pins. We called them the “Sos” (a play on the organization’s name). The squad’s job was to quell disturbances that could lead to violence (theoretically more likely during lunchtime and between classes). I’m wracking my brain right now, trying to recall fights during my time there. There may have been fights, but four years and classes that took me to every inch of that multi-discipline school… and all I can say is that I observed no fights and I never heard of any. It was students policing students.

4 Likes

I’m a bit further back than you [Grad 1977], but I as well saw very few knock down drag out fights, it was an anomaly at best and usually ended very fast, with only some wounded pride.

8 Likes

One of my work-study program employments (Psych Lab) at uni afforded me the “opportunity” to see a street fight between two students from the HS further up the block and across the street from us. The psych department was, among other things, involved in a crowd study, and two of us were given the task of photographing crowds of different sizes, and all that from our 7th floor window. (The photos would be used to determine accuracy of crowd size estimations from cursory observation.) Fight Day: A large crowd of HS students walked down the block, then crossed the street, with that giving us an excellent view of a fight. The crowd opened up making way for two lanky dudes who took off their shoes for what turned out to be a one-punch match. Just one punch thrown, a guy went down, got back up, everyone left, and that was the end of the fight. Something got settled pretty quick. The profs (informed later) were much more interested in the cultural dynamics of the fight (and the crowd). The behavior of everyone. They wished they had seen it.

6 Likes

They tend to become proud members of the GOP.

8 Likes

I was fully expecting to see a puddle of blood coming from under her head, considering the way he slammed her down.

5 Likes

This type of dynamic [you saw] played out over and over I witnessed at many bars I managed / bartended / bounced. The going modus was to wait and watch amongst the bar crew employees, then intervene only if things got out of hand, which they rarely did. Humans ability to hold elevated levels of emotional upset is very limited. It has always left me with the underlying feeling that reconciliation is hard wired into humans, that good is in there, but it needs nurturing, that this modus is a very healthy way to deescalate and avoid violence, essentially we as humans need that societal permission to do this simple needed task when chaos ensues.

I’m not a psychologist, but observing humans is fascinating, especially in groups.

Nice to chat again with you.

12 Likes

:+1: :+1: :+1: :+1: :+1:

7 Likes

Hard to tell, but I swear the poor girl’s head bounced on the concrete, maybe even more than once.

I wonder know what would have happened had she been white.

6 Likes

And here I thought capital punishment had been outlawed in schools. :man_shrugging:

Police+in+other+countries+really+do+add+insult+to+injury+_23828626e10a082c62f80c436b7faf90

9 Likes

It speaks about the relationship of people and the police in the US that no one jumps those macho assholes or at least try to intervene somehow. Watching this as a western European I suddenly feel privileged and that is fucked up, because cops here are already bad enough. I really hope that the change in US government will push police reform as hard as it is humanly possible.

2 Likes

The only time I remember the cops coming to our school was when we set off homemade explosives in the park behind the school. They talked to us and told us not to do that anymore and that was pretty much it. Obviously this was pre Columbine and 9/11.

Kids are going to do dumb shit, it’s part of learning how to exist in society. Punishing those mistakes via the criminal justice system is doing way more harm than traditional tools like suspensions. I got suspended a few times, but I turned out to be a productive member of society. If I did the same shit now, I’d probably have a criminal record. Adding criminal charges and armed police whose go-to tool is violence does more harm and makes the school less safe, in my opinion. And yes, get cops out of schools now.

4 Likes

How did I know the student was black and the cop was shite before I started reading? (I MEANT to write “white” but fingers just slipped. I’ll allow it.)

Not too many fights during my K12 experience (80s-90s) area, and no cops.

But I DO have a memorable fight story.

Two dudes decide they’re going to throw hands after gym outside of, lets call him Mr G’s, gym class. They go at it, creating a sizable and loud crowd. Which draws the attention and ire of Mr G, who promptly exits his office, and starts wading through the crowd to separate the two combatants.

He starts to push the two apart, and one of them, probably figuring “The G must be for Geriatric, and this 70 year old man is not getting in my way” foolishly decides to take a swing at the old man.

Not realizing or remembering that G would be for “golden gloves,” as the gym teacher was, in fact, a GG recipient, who out of sheer instinct and with binding speed blocks, and one-twos his attacker right to the ground.

Pays to respect your elders kids.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.