Officer slams student so hard to the ground she is motionless

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2021/01/27/officer-slams-student-so-hard-to-the-ground-she-is-motionless.html

3 Likes

Police need to be removed from schools, the evidence is beyond damning and to continue is out right criminal negligence.

45 Likes

Jeebus people, this isn’t pro wrestling!! (besides, those folks know how to make it look like they are doing grievous damage while not actually doing grievous damage…)

3 Likes

Holy shit. “Bashes student’s head against concrete” is more like it.
If you haven’t already watched, be warned.
Fuuuuuck.
That looks like some serious concussion, if not worse.

And, yeah, it would be nice to have more context but nothing could make this acceptable. The power dynamic alone makes this egregious use of force.

27 Likes

Mod Note: Just a reminder that victim blaming is not permitted here. That includes statements like “I wonder if there was more to the story before”, which are very close to “She was asking for it” type comments.

Context is king, but too often calls for more information are just a way to protect offenders. Please don’t do that here.

26 Likes

Let’s get real: this is an insecure man with a badge letting his emotions drive the level of force. It’s disproportionate because he’s satisfying HIMSELF, not the situation. Totally appalling and sickening.

6 Likes

WTF did I just watch?
Officers should be trained to deescalate or take down more gracefully. If you cannot get a highschool girl under control or cuffed without giving her a concussion, hard stop. Turn in your badge.
There is a second deputy that could have helped, but I fear he would have helped beat her even more.

8 Likes

It only “lacks context” if one is willfully obtuse.

18 Likes

Fixed That For You

8 Likes

Why the FUCK are police officers breaking up schoolyard fights in the first place??

10 Likes

You don’t stop a fight by joining in…

7 Likes

I sometimes wonder what happened to the bullies and tormenters I knew in middle school. What did they amount to in life? What kind of job could they possibly have?

13 Likes

Anyone who questions whether this officer’s actions were out of line regardless of context is apologizing for a cop bashing a high school student’s head into concrete.

The only acceptable response is fire or suspend without pay the cop and remove cops from schools. Cops do not belong in schools. Humankind got along for thousands of years without cops in schools. Most countries still get alone without cops in schools. A society that puts cops in schools is trying salt its own wounds.

17 Likes

Yeah, Jesus. She was swung into the ground head-first. People have died from less. I hope to hell she got immediate medical attention because she absolutely received some kind of head injury.

12 Likes

The kid who bullied me in jr high is now the local bank president…

11 Likes

When I was teaching in HS, a senior student was under the influence of something and smacked a younger student upside the head. A teacher nearby immediately intervened and the student head-butted the her before an on-campus cop restrained the student. And he did it without violence. The teacher’s response? Something is wrong with the student and she needs some help going forward, not incarceration.

The cop’s response? He told me that students they have to engage with are basically shit and if police have to maintain peace, that’s on them.

This is how they think.

15 Likes

There were fights in the halls, in the locker room and in the lunch room while I was in middle school and high school decades ago. There were no cops in my school nor were the cops ever called during these fights. Somehow everyone lived. Get cops out of schools now.

13 Likes

One gets the impression that this officer thinks deescalation means throwing the person down an escalator.

13 Likes

damn those 5 syllable words

4 Likes

By 2014, two thirds of US high school students attended a school with an on-campus police officer. While there’s no statistical evidence that school police improve educational outcomes, there is strong data that the presence of nurses, counselors, psychologists and social workers does. But with the millions of dollars that school districts spend on police, they argue that can no longer afford these critical services. This needs to change.

• 1.7 million students are in schools with police but no counselors
  • 3 million students are in schools with police but no nurses
  • 6 million students are in schools with police but no school psychologists
  • 10 million students are in schools with police but no social workers
  • 14 million students are in schools with police but no counselor, nurse, psychologist, or social worker

data sourced from ACLU and NY Times

23 Likes