"Oh my god, I'm gonna get shot" — Vermont cops terrorize high school students with mock mass shooting

Of course were this an actual raid by actual gunmen, the actual police would have remained outside surrounding the building until the sounds of gunfire and screams abated and said building could be safely entered.

20 Likes

Apparently neither the Burlington police department nor the school district has in house counsel. Or they don’t run things like this by them. Because I guarantee you any lawyer, if consulted on this ahead of time, would have said, “You want to do what? No! What the fuck is wrong with you?”

20 Likes

I have had a few of those conversations, though thank C’thulhu none of those involved simulating a mass shooting….

9 Likes

You beat me to it.

11 Likes

Sarcasm tag missing, perhaps?

Either way it’s kind of a weird flex, bro.

11 Likes

I have a cousin who’s in the general counsel’s office of the University of Missouri College of Medicine. I should ask him what he thinks about this, lol.

11 Likes

All the PTSD of a regular massacre, with less than a tenth of the fatalities.

9 Likes

Yes, exactly!

I was going to say most people show a test like this, or have them read “You are Not So Smart” by David McRaney, about how poor people are at noticing and remembering things and how unreliable an eyewitness can be.

This is just more fuel to the fire that cops are fucking stupid.

7 Likes

Surely they could have just tapped their most notorious Brady cop to tell the kids about testilying if they wanted to teach them about witness reliability?

2 Likes

Not to mention some teacher, who might even have better aim?

5 Likes

BossyHardAddax

just-sick

tenor

what-is-wrong-with-you

What is wrong with you leave me alone _0cc99251ae84603f2d903c3103f8c021

FTP-403x403

11 Likes

But where’s the fun in that?

3 Likes

The result: To show that cops can’t ever be trusted.

11 Likes

I do have to wonder if we’re going to see kids moving away from wanting to be cops. I mean, sure, there will probably always be people who want to do the job. But an entire traumatized generation that has no faith in the police? Doesn’t sound like recruitment will be especially easy (fingers crossed).

6 Likes

I suspect that the cops falsely believe that the scenario has to be a surprise or has to be scary because they don’t actually understand the research.

If they did they would have to admit that their own testimony and memory is unreliable.

I suspect that this relates to their belief that they are prepared and trained to actually remember everything correctly in a tense or dangerous situation.

It’s just scared “civilians” that give bad testimony in their word view despite what the actual research says.

13 Likes

Since weed’s becoming legal everywhere and people are starting to scratch their heads about that previous on-campus police program, these terror talks are the new D.A.R.E.

2 Likes

America - are you OK?

4 Likes

NO

18 Likes

Not by a damn sight!

5 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.