"Oh my god, I'm gonna get shot" — Vermont cops terrorize high school students with mock mass shooting

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2024/06/06/oh-my-god-im-gonna-get-shot-vermont-cops-terrorize-high-school-students-with-mock-mass-shooting.html

24 Likes

Stand Up What GIF by 800 Pound Gorilla Media

32 Likes

They could have taught that same lesson by having somebody dressed up in a hamburglar-style costume pop out of a closet, grab something off a desk and run out the door then ask students what kind of shoes he was wearing to see if they all gave the same answer.

43 Likes

Lawsuits coming, no doubt.
And rightly so.

20 Likes

There’s a pretty common Psych 101 demonstration of the same concept in which, mid-lecture, someone comes in and throws a cup of water on the professor. I don’t think that’s ever resulted in anyone fearing they might die.

31 Likes

Never mourn a cop.

4 Likes

Maybe someone with a very rare skin condition.

witch

16 Likes

What The Hell Wtf GIF by Amazon Prime Video

17 Likes
24 Likes

i think it say a lot about how policing works in the USA. here is an experiment / test / example that has been done before. yet the cops first thoughts were to use violence to show it.

21 Likes

Those examples don’t make kids who are about to be able to vote afraid enough, and they might be ok with such abhorrent ideas as defunding the police if we don’t remind them why the cops pretend they exist.

12 Likes

What the actual F&CK?!!?!?

Do you want to give kids PTSD? BECAUSE THAT’S HOW YOU GIVE KIDS PTSD!!

Bill the cops for all the therapy sessions on that one.

19 Likes

That wouldn’t terrify children. You obviously have no background in elementary and secondary pedagogy.

4 Likes

If nothing else it’s a memorable lesson in ACAB-ology.

12 Likes

Stuff like this is why my kids and I have a code word for cops - ‘therapy’

Why is terrifying children necessary to teach them that witness accounts are unreliable? You can do that without inflicting psychological trauma that will follow those kids for life.

16 Likes

And how would they have responded if a kid busted out some return fire? I mean, after all, doesn’t a certain demographic want to encourage kids to be packing too?

17 Likes

It is only through childhood trauma that lessons can be imprinted for a lifetime. I think that’s from Paolo Freire or Ivan Illyich. I forget.

6 Likes

Gonna have to disagree on that. Especially teaching something completely non-critical like ‘witness statements are unreliable’.

15 Likes

I was a subject in one of the original studies of the type.

… you don’t have to surprise people with the scenario. We were well briefed that it was going to be happening. The scene was actually a little bit comedic in that certain details were changed, but the scenario was tense enough that it didn’t really matter. It still wrecked peoples’ testimonies.

I did remarkably well, if only because I only stuck to the few details I was able to identify and didn’t try to fill in any blanks.

8 Likes

Taking away their phones, however…

Horror Omg GIF by I Know What You Did Last Summer

10 Likes