Ohio school board bans children's book for its highly offensive rainbow and unicorn images

I have no problem with the bible being taught in school as the work of fiction that it is.

5 Likes

I have a problem with that. It’s a terribly dull read full of inconsistent writing that still manages to be pretentious as fuck. There are much better-written books and stories to spend precious class time learning. At least the Iliad manages to be readable.

5 Likes

15 Likes

25 Likes

Wonder if “The Ugly Duckling”, or if Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer would similarly be banned, as they also deal with the controversial theme that being different could not only be OK, but could be a positive.

16 Likes

I grew up in Delaware County (where BVSD is located) but went to Delaware City Schools.

All I can say is “fucking hicks.”

For those of you unfamiliar with Delaware County, it’s arguably the Trumpiest part of the state. There’s a reason I never went back once I could afford to support myself in college without my parents.

11 Likes

Are they going to be able to find a cryptid veterinarian to do the ‘vetting’? /s

5 Likes

Bravo, I don’t think it could have been summed up any better.

3 Likes

The neanderthals who went after this book were obviously correct in recognizing it as against their interests - there’s no room for it in the kind of intolerant society they want to build.

Nietzsche said there are two components to herd morality: the first is that you do what everyone else does, and the second is that you do what everyone else does because everyone else does it. From that perspective, talk of “being yourself” is a threat.

3 Likes

When will they ever learn? When will they ev-er learn?

14 Likes

I don’t think we have this book but my daughter has a couple of this author’s other books. They’re cute and funny and silly enough that she wants to read them. She’s above the reading level for it now but she’ll still read “Bunny Will Not Be Quiet” because it’s funny.

7 Likes

Ah, but those are cherished works from the (i.e., “my”) past. Also, they deal with being different in a standard way (i.e., “that doesn’t make me uncomfortable”).

3 Likes

“[…school board bans children’s book]”

That’s the most inappropriate thing for a school board to do anywhere. Let’s hope it leads to increased sales of this book and more demand for it in the local public library system.

6 Likes

This is the future that liberals want!

3 Likes

Was going to post on this very concept.

This moves beyond appalling. One person’s complaint is enough to yank things. Mostly because the people in charge probably agree with the complainer.

Love to see someone with the skill set write “Jesus Has Two Daddies” to explain that situation somehow.

4 Likes

You got that backwards. This is the future repubs want. They are the ones who are passing these utterly ridiculous laws. Not only banning books, but banning abortion and CRT. I bet a very small percentage of those people actually know what CRT is, or have read any of the books they say are so very bad for kids.

So these books are being banned on the complaint of ONE parent? What about the parents who actually showed up to find out what was going on? That ONE parent shouldn’t be allowed to dictate the reading material of a whole school district.

4 Likes

Rudolph conformity

Bonus:
it's good we don't fit in

13 Likes

Tiger Balm Garden Dragon Singapore
Hot-cha-cha-cha-cha!

4 Likes

Hmmm - given the chaos that one parent’s complaint can cause, maybe the rest of the parents could complain about every other book in the school? Get them ALL banned. It might draw attention to how dumb this whole ‘parents’ complaints about books must be respected’ fuckwittery really is.

(Nah - who am I kidding? The repugnants would much prefer there being no books at all.)

3 Likes