Ohio woman is suing a sperm bank after she became pregnant with sperm donated by a black man

One of the issues was that the two mothers had picked out a sperm donor for their first child, and specified that they wanted to use sperm from the same donor again, so that their second child would have a family resemblance to their first.

The thing about how this illustrates systemic racism: the couple lived in basically an all-white town. The problems they had to confront illustrate some of the pressures that encourage segregation, even in the absence of Jim Crow laws. Formal desegregation policies are meant to counter these pressures, and some people choose to deliberately confront them. But, there are costs, such as the difficulties their daughter has faced growing up. The couple hadn’t planned for this, and hadn’t prepared for it.

7 Likes

Your whole post is premised on the idea that the only difficulties here are going to be from these parents being racist, and not from the idea that they are going to be raising a child of dark skin in a society with systemic racist actions. Not wanting to be thrust into that problem doesn’t make you racist.

They’re not seeking an abortion, they’re not looking to trade her in, they’re holding the bank accountable for their mistake. Others have covered this already, but I suggest you read the article.

Edit: FoolishOwl’s post above me does a better job of making my point.

5 Likes

Imagine this scenario; you want a cake for your birthday party. You like chocolate, so that’s what you order. But on the day of the party the bakery delivers a strawberry cake instead. It’s not what you ordered, and maybe some of the guests won’t like it or are even allergic. You’d probably be disappointed and frustrated, not with the cake itself but with the baker and the situation.

Now imagine that strawberry cake had been stuffed up your vagina without your consent. I’m guessing there would be some anger.

11 Likes

As @catgrin pointed out, there are other deeper issues involved. If these samples are incorrectly labeled or unscreened, there could be serious defects in their samples. The place should be investigated as to the quality of their practice.

5 Likes

Try this: “Honey, you know all those mean people who said that you were lying about who your sister was, or teased you about being adopted? We didn’t want that to happen to you, and the sperm bank promised they would help us. We were really angry when they broke that promise, because we knew people would be mean to you about it.”

4 Likes

It does neither of you any credit to pretend, against all evidence, that this was purely an aesthetic choice on the parents’ part. They wanted to shield their little girl from harassment by actual racists.

7 Likes

Is that a problem? Eugenics got (and deserved) a very bad rap because the high profile implementations involved either lots and lots of involuntary sterilization and/or death camps. That presents a bit of an ethical problem.

In the case of a sperm bank, though, some prospective donors are just being turned away, or not chosen for use. That’s a pretty painless outcome.

From the parents’ side, since they are in need of donor sperm, why wouldn’t they make a best effort attempt to choose the best for their child? If they want to use a donor, they cannot not chose. They can choose ‘surprise me’; but that is still a choice. It might be easier to pretend that it isn’t; but they cannot escape choosing. I’d argue that it would be overtly unethical to, in the face of that choice, do your best to choose the best expected outcome for your child.

Sure, sperm bank selection processes are effectively eugenics (albeit without any larger scale systematic planning); but why not? The worst thing that happens to those not chosen is that they don’t get to be paid donors, and ideally some children get better genetic outcomes.

2 Likes

The question of whether they are or aren’t racist seems a bit orthogonal to their dispute with the sperm bank. Even if they were KKK dignitaries with assorted repulsive positions on the necessity of racial holy war and whatnot, they still seem to have a pretty clear-cut consumer protection (and potentially medical quality control) case.

Nothing allows you to screw up a customer’s order just because they wanted it for the wrong reasons.

6 Likes

They didn’t want a “white baby” they wanted sperm from a particular donor (the same as for their other child, in fact), which is not what they were given. They live in a white (and let’s face it, racist) area and are now going to have to move so that their child is in a more supportive environment, which is going to cost money. Those are the two issues.

6 Likes

Well put. I was thinking of saying the same thing, but I hate when the replies are all angry.

1 Like

a lot of people are focusing on the race issue, fair enough that is understandable, but the couple do state that they love their daughter and wouldn’t change anything about her. if we take them at their word, and lets hope that is true, then that isn’t the issue.

personally i’m appalled that the IVF clinic was so haphazard with their specimens. This is the kind of situation where there should be very stringent screening and records, there shouldn’t ever be room for a “mixup” and that fact that there was a mixup s a frightening indication of very poor procedural policies. In this case the results weren’t bad just unexpected, but with recessive genetic diseases and issues there could have been some very serious unintended consequences which would have been unacceptable. the IVF clinic should indeed be held accountable and should be subjected to an official investigation and have their procedural policies reviewed by a third party.

5 Likes

I think you missed the “lesbian couple” part.

3 Likes

That’s a sentence I wasn’t expecting to read over my morning coffee :wink:

6 Likes

A lack of a sticky situation got them in this situation actually…

Alaska Robotics rocks…

1 Like

The sperm samples should be blended in a big vat.

3 Likes

From the article:

In April 2012, five months into her pregnancy, Cramblett, 36, called Midwest Sperm Bank LLC outside Chicago to reserve sperm from the same donor in the hope that Zinkon, 29, would someday also have a child.

That’s when Cramblett learned from a sperm bank employee that she had been inseminated with sperm from the wrong donor, according to a lawsuit filed Monday against Midwest Sperm Bank in Cook County, Illinois.

So they found out that it was the wrong donor before Cramblett gave birth and had the kid anyway. I think that they can probably make a reassuring story for this little girl out of that fact.

4 Likes

The desired sample was #380. The delivered one was #330. Looks to me like a pretty common human error of misreading two similar digits. Which could’ve been written poorly, given the “ease” of writing on labels on (presumably) round containers.

These errors happen in many other fields, often with lethal results.

A possible workaround is not using sequential numbers, but adding at least one checksum digit.

8 Likes

With a catwalk around the rim so school tour groups can gawk at it.

5 Likes

Wouldn’t the catwalk be for the donors?

7 Likes

It’s dual-purpose. No one can afford unitaskers in this economy.

5 Likes