Ohio woman is suing a sperm bank after she became pregnant with sperm donated by a black man

The dinky little one room “blood lab” at my doctor’s office has a label printer for putting on their blood samples. I really hope they aren’t handwriting the labels on their sperm samples.

1 Like

Maybe the race is itself a problem in the eyes of the parents, but even if they couldn’t care less about the donor’s race, I still thing suing is an acceptable, even a good, thing to do. It seems to me an essential part of reproduction that we get to choose who we mate with, at least in part to guide the traits our children inherit.

Whatever traits the parents wanted their kid to have based on the description of the father, there is no reason to expect those to correlate with the traits of the man who turned out to be the actual father. That is unacceptable. Race could easily just be the visually obvious marker by which the parents identified that the bank made a mistake in the first place.

3 Likes

It does neither of you any credit to pretend, against all evidence, that this was purely an aesthetic choice on the parents’ part. They wanted to shield their little girl from harassment by actual racists.

Duh…everyone knows the way to prevent racist harassment is to have moar white babeez.

In what possible world would that sort of ridiculousness be “over-sensationalized”?

Having done a lot of cryo-storage of cells, you’d be better off with both handwritten and labelled tubes. The special labels used for Nitrogen storage are pretty fussy about how they are applied and can fall off without much provocation if you get it wrong. Label the tube, ID code on the tube in pen, then map the location in the Dewar.

Clearly written marker is pretty robust, but if I had a larger budget, I’d go for barcode-etched tubes.

5 Likes

So, just to be clear, you’re asserting that (a) there is no possible reason for a family raising a dark-skinned child in an all-white, racist community to worry that their child will be racially harassed, and (b) there is no such thing as PTSD. Have I got that right? If we’re going to have a discussion here, I’d like to get past the random shit-stirring and into actual assertions.

3 Likes

I totally agree with you, for what it’s worth.

She can just tell people “I was raped by Kobe,” and they’ll be like “You too?”

Except for Muhammed the Prophet, Woody Allen, and a whole country or two → Iran lawmakers pass bill allowing men to marry adopted daughters | Iran | The Guardian

Thanks. Now everybody at work wants to know what I thought was so coffee-spittingly funny.

1 Like

I prefer to date someone I am attracted to. BUT should we end up having a baby, then the kid will have my genes as well and will therefore quite likely not be attractive.
If I was actively trying to ensure that the kid would become as attractive as my partner, then yes, that would be eugenics.

It should be possible to select the gametes for presence/absence of a specific gene. I would even advocate for possibility to insert genes from a library, once the tech gets robust enough.

And I believe that with enough searching there will be a Malaysian, Thai or Korean clinic providing that service for medical tourists.

Screw selecting for hair colour or skin tone, let’s go straight to GFP tagged humans. Perfect for raves and Halloween, it’s already proven tech on many mammals.

1 Like

Sweet! That would be pwetty. Though I have no idea what it would be actually good for, except easily observable proof of concept, a good beginning. (I wouldn’t mind a GFP tattoo for myself!) (What about tattoos with genes for expression of pigments based on biochemical indicators? Built-in biomarker analyzer?)

I had other thoughts. Start with repairing the broken ascorbate synthesis pathway; I’d say that it is a genetic disease on par of inability to synthesize other stuff. Modify smell (could that be done by e.g. liposome aerosol gene therapy already?) to be able to detect carbon monoxide and methane. Provide ability to feel hypoxia, on par of feeling too much of CO2. Then continue to stronger immune system on par with some reptiles, possibly with features controllable on/off using signalling chemicals to not have to deal with fixed tradeoffs. Maybe arrays of electric-eel like cells for powering post-birth electronic interfaces, which can in turn feedback to the body via releasing hormones or other chemical signal broadcasts. And we still are in the area of hidden, invisible-to-ingenerous-plebes mods…

…one of the must-haves will be increased radiation resistance. Good for extended stays off this stupid rock. And strong DNA repair mechanisms, for both radiation and cancer resistance (borrow from sharks here? They do get cancer, contrary to what myths say, but it is still pretty damn rare)…

2 Likes

Not much, but you know me and form vs. function. Go for the shiny first, then make it do something useful later. :wink:

Have one linked to Alcohol Dehydrogenase. A tatt that changes depending on how drunk you are has awesome artistic possibilities.

Getting a tad OT here though…

Good for proof of concept stages of research/implementation, and for general fooling around. The practice/training/test aspects are enough for me to approve. :smiley:

Go for alcohol level itself. ADH is pretty much locked up just in liver and stomach lining, which are a bit too deep in the chassis to be visible.

True. We should split off a thread… Care to do it?

They’ve stated they won’t move. They know they live in a bigoted homogenous area and they don’t want to move. One of the biggest problems for trans-racial adoptees is that they’re almost always raised in lily-white communities. No one looks like them, no one wants to date them in high school, people question whether or not they belong there…it’s not a nice thing to do to a child you love. But hey, they like their community so they don’t want to move.

1 Like

“Cramblett said the family will have to move away from their current home in Uniontown, Ohio – a place she described as white, conservative and too racially intolerant.”

They’ve been told that moving is in the best interest of the child, and they don’t want to move, but apparently are going to do it anyways.

Shouldn’t the sperm bank chip in for the move?

2 Likes

Thus the lawsuit.

2 Likes