A young Black doctor sues Chase Bank after she tried to deposit her first check and was treated like a criminal

Originally published at: A young Black doctor sues Chase Bank after she tried to deposit her first check and was treated like a criminal | Boing Boing

16 Likes

I guess she should be grateful that they didn’t shot her. /s

9 Likes

Hopefully there will be a big pay-out, to go with Dr. Mitchell-Stewart’s signing on bonus; and her next bank won’t be so racist.

Edit to replace “c” with “n”.

34 Likes

Pardon me, but your racism is showing.

24 Likes

This is why anti-discrimination laws exist and why they are necessary.

59 Likes

More than merely showing, I would say it is clearly on display.

19 Likes

“Same shit, different decade.”

–Eddie Murphy (probably)

35 Likes

I wonder if they tried to confiscate the check. If they thought it was fraudulent they should have, if they just didn’t like a black customer they might as well hand it back to get her to leave quickly.

11 Likes

Me, I’m surprised that they didn’t call out the SWAT team and have them shoot her. /s or maybe not.

5 Likes

7 posts were split to a new topic: How to Find a Good Local Credit Union and Ditch the Bank

This topic is temporarily closed for at least 4 hours due to a large number of community flags.

This bloody country…

26 Likes

This topic was automatically opened after 4 hours.

their new moto
" Chase , racisism you can bank on "

14 Likes

I hope she takes them for every penny she can get.

Asshole bigots…

32 Likes

(post deleted by author)

1 Like

Not funny at all.

This isn’t a joke; and cynical sarcasm, as much as I may be enamored of it myself, does nothing to solve the problem.

18 Likes

Chase sucks. My nine year old child and I frequently walk by the local one; and he drops a raw egg from his tactical egg carrier in front of it.
Chase sucks. EOM.

2 Likes

She should have gone full on Karen here. Totally justified.

I have no doubt check fraud is rampant, but it cannot possibly be that hard for a bank to call the issuer of the check and validate that it had been issued in the amount shown. I once had a similar situation where I was mid-20’s, dressed ratty, had long hair and a beard and was depositing ~$20k into my account, and the bank teller went to talk to the branch manager. Took some 10 minutes (no idea what they were doing, but they clearly were concerned it was fraud), and then came back and completed the transaction. I am of course a white dude.

It seems clear that they chose not to do any kind of validation.

7 Likes

@Carla_Sinclair
Black Enterprise has removed the story from their site and replaced it with a positive Chase story: “JPMorgan Chase is Pressing its Large Business Suppliers to Spend More with Black and Hispanic Businesses or Perhaps Face Consequences.” The story is still available in bunches of other publications.

13 Likes