Okay, I'll try a chalkboard eraser on my windows if it makes cleaning easier

I’ve made this in the past and it works well enough for my needs.

"2 cups water
1/4 cup white vinegar
1/2 teaspoon dishwashing soap (we like Dawn)

By the way, newspaper makes an excellent polishing cloth to prevent streaks."

In my experience newspaper make things worse, I use a microfiber cloth, failing that a paper towel.

3 Likes

For cloudy glassware, run it through the dishwasher once with citric acid instead of detergent. The results are amazing. Everything will look brand new. You can also buy commercial dishwasher cleaner (like Glisten) but citric acid is the main ingredient in it. Do not use vinegar in your dishwasher. That’s acetic acid which will attack the rubber hoses in the machine. Citric acid is safe. Your glassware and the dishwasher itself will be cleaner than you ever thought possible. :star_struck:

5 Likes

How much citric acid would you add to a cycle? This is brilliant.

4 Likes

I only clean my windows with steel wool and flaxseed oil, and then I bake them at 550 degrees to season them.

Wait, no.

18 Likes

Fill the detergent cup, just like you would with detergent. The commercial cleaning powders come with more than that, and you spread the extra around in the machine, but I find filling the normal cup thing to be enough.

Don’t put dirty dishes in there, just clean (but cloudy) glassware or clean dishes that have calcium deposits on them (feel rough to the touch). The citric acid won’t clean off food like detergent, but it’s goddam magic on mineral deposits.

6 Likes

Ahh, got it. Since replacing our dishwasher a few years ago we’ve used nothing but pods, but I can figure out what a standard measure is no problem. I already use citric acid on the kettle, it never occurred to me to take it to the dishwasher. Thank you!

5 Likes

Citric acid also does wonders if you have hard water (like I do) and have mineral deposits on the stainless interior of the washing machine.

4 Likes

Technology Connections taught me last week that US dishwashers aren’t like ours on the right-hand side of the Atlantic which come with water softeners, so ‘dishwasher salt’ isn’t a thing over there.

Do you want to spend the best part of an hour learning about the finer points of dishwasher detergent? Of course you do…

7 Likes

I feel like Lifehacker ran out of actual life hacks like 5 years ago and now just find ever more elaborate solutions for problems that don’t exist.

Clean windows:

Lightly soapy water + squeegee + a rag to catch the drips. I literally did our entire house last year in about 30 mins and we have giant windows and windowed doors (like floor to ceiling glass).

Also, Windex is somehow the worst glass cleaner ever. I think it’s a marketing trick to get you to buy more Windex to clean off the Windex residue.

5 Likes

Bosch says no to using either vinegar or citric acid in their washing machines, not sure about dishwashers…

Can I descale the washing machine with citric acid?

Descaling your washing machine? Avoid using citric acid! There’s a Bosch recommended washing machine cleaner for cleaning. It’s been tested in Bosch washing machines and provides optimal cleaning results.

We advise you not to descale your washing machine with household products that contain acid or vinegar. These can attack the rubber parts of the machine. Primarily, make sure that you don’t use too little washing detergent. Please see the detergent manufacturer’s instructions.

But, weirdly, sells a citric acid based descaler for both washing machines and dishwashers :woman_shrugging:

Descaler for Dishwashers & Washing Machines (1 Container)…
Ingredients: Citric Acid, Maleic Acid, PPG-4 Laureth-5

1 Like

I learned in the army that newspaper is best for glass. But I rarely get any thing on newsprint nowadays. Which is good.

2 Likes

You can buy dishwasher salt in the US, in fact it is cheaper and easier for me to find locally here than it was in Oslo. However, almost no dishwashers sold here have the softeners that use the salt built in. (The salt isn’t for changing the water chemistry, it is for recharging a resin-based softener.)

4 Likes

Most houses in arizona don’t have a water softener unless it’s been plumbed in as a later add-on.

I watched his original screed on why dishwashers waste water during the pre-wash cycle, because they don’t heat the water, and because in a typical US house, it takes a few gallons) to pull hot water from the heater unless one pulls hot water before starting it. (such as washing one’s hands after loading the unit with dirty dishes and soap, then starting the washer off.) TBH, it kinda turned me off. I’m leery of watching this new video for similar reasons.

1 Like

I see a squeegee in my future!

1 Like

2 posts were merged into an existing topic: How does air.tv make money from BB posts?

Don’t use PODS. Switch to regular dishwashing detergent powder and you’ll find it works better. The reasoning behind this can be found here: Detergent packs are kinda wishy-washy (Dishwashers Explained) - YouTube

What’s this Air.tv and what have you done with my Youtubes? (I’m not complaining mind you)

Yep, it’s the carbon in the newsprint. Professional photographers use carbon pens to clean their lenses for the same reason.

The YouTubes seem to still embedded normally, but air dot tv apparently dynamically swaps them if you allow air dot tv permission for scripting and XHR.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.