Old School One-upsmanship

Name something that was old school to you. Or post something that is more old school that a previous poster. Be real :slight_smile:

My first PC was a TRS-80 modded with a piggy backed 1K memory chip to enable lower case letters.

(No matter how old school I think I am I know someone is way, way more old school than me. I expect someone will tell me how they had to rewire their computer to program it, or cut new gears for their Babbage Engine :smile: )

8 Likes
15 Likes

Both my brother and sister are whizzes on an abacus. Do you know how to wield that thing?

3 Likes

Well, that beats the slide rules I inherited, I assume you can actually use it (or knew at some time in the past) :slight_smile:

5 Likes

What’s the third stack for?

1 Like

That’s a Russian abacus that was meant for monetary calculations. The short stack is for quarter rubles I think. (It’s a quarter fraction of something.)

5 Likes

[quote]Russian Shoty 10 or 4 beads, 10 digits
Brand: Unknown
Material: Oak wood frame, curved steel rods and oak beads
Beads: 10b x 9 + 4b x 1 Note the 4 beads digit is for 1/4 Kopecks)
Digits/Columns: 10
Size: 240 x 165 mm (9.6x 6.6")[/quote]
http://sliderulemuseum.com/Abaci.htm

6 Likes

Pretty sure this comic encapsulates the entire thread before it even began:

Alt-text: Real programmers set the universal constants at the start such that the universe evolves to contain the disk with the data they want.

18 Likes

9 Likes

At the rate that posts are being withdrawn, you won’t find anything here tomorrow. the whole BBS will be gone.

7 Likes

3 Likes

7 Likes

What is that? Can you provide a link?

2 Likes

I see your abacus and raise you urnary numerals and concatenation. Written in the dirt.

6 Likes

It’s an elegant way of doing fractions.

3 Likes

Here you go.
Explanation under the section marked mathematics.

3 Likes

Dirt? Real counting takes commitment.

11 Likes

I got this model for one of my birthdays (maybe 12th?).

My mom was still using it until she died in 2010.

(I figured we need to move to electronics…)

15 Likes

One of the earliest iterations of the RATS Nest BBS. Sorry about the picture quality, it’s from a newspaper article. It was quite the thing in 1983. Yes, that’s a TRS-80 Model 1 with floppy drives (only) and a 300 baud modem.

9 Likes

Only a few more years and it would be on:

__ / \ /|oo \ (_| /_) _`@/_ \ _ | | \ \\ | (*) | \ )) ______ |__U__| / \// / FIDO \ _//|| _\ / (________) (_/(_|(____/ (c) John Madil

5 Likes