On calling women "females" (and why you shouldn't)

3 Likes

3 Likes

Which species?

18 Likes

But… but… it’s in a DICTIONARY! Words can NEVER be used contrary to what DICTIONARY says… :wink:

13 Likes

I waffle on that song… somedays, I’m feeling 90s nostalgia, and other days, I’m like “that songs annoying me because it used female…”

5 Likes

Iron Man was a Fe-Male.
Pass it on.

42 Likes

trying not to laugh robert downey jr GIF

27 Likes

Adding to that, if a I may, dictionaries that have bothered to define it don’t seem to require the “humorous” part. Certainly the examples they use don’t imply it.

Neither Oxford nor Webster have included it, though Webster does give its history.

9 Likes

And of course, let’s keep in mind that language is an ever evolving beast whose usage often transcends whatever stuffy white people put into books… all to the good, I’d say.

16 Likes

10 Likes

Keanu Reeves Reaction GIF

7 Likes

Just the first one. The sequels suck!

18 Likes

That was actually funny.

Kudos.

10 Likes

I checked the Acronym and Glossary topic and found this, it says don’t use the word and then points to this topic.

Female(s) - unless you’re describing animals or filling out a form, use woman/women please. Better yet, evaluate whether its necessary to use at all. Exception: when used in conjunction with male. See also

The title includes “and why you shouldn’t” but so far no one has said why it shouldn’t be used, just don’t.

I don’t think I’ve ever described a woman as female unless it was a multiple choice check box on a medical form for my wife or mom.

Can someone please explain the why part?

Fe(II)male or Fe(III)male?

Oxidation state is very important!

18 Likes

19 Likes

15 Likes

Why, do you have trouble taking our word for it without bullet points?

13 Likes

Ironic man?

14 Likes

Ferrous Man and Ferric Man! The Iron Twins!

15 Likes