On calling women "females" (and why you shouldn't)

Can we just get rid of that word in reference to human beings?

7 Likes

Moi8Rpr

Sorryā€¦ had to do itā€¦ and Thanks!

34 Likes

Itā€™s a perfectly cromulent adjective when used accurately. The issue is using it when a noun would be the correct choice, or when the equivalent (male) isnā€™t used for the non-females in a parallel structure.

31 Likes

I really donā€™t know why we have to keep explaining this shit over and over and over again. How fucking hard is it to treat people with decency and respect? Apparently, itā€™s the most difficult thing in all of creation since so many men can seem to master this one simple fucking request to NOT CALL WOMEN FEMALESā€¦

Angry Tyra Banks GIF

28 Likes

Itā€™s a pretty simple rule of thumbā€¦

25 Likes

Eh, no.

The issue is that itā€™s not a necessary word in most civil situations. And you do realize that cromulent as an adjective is meant to be humorous or mocking, right?

A double-mansplain; this must be my lucky day!

Saying ā€˜the doctor and the female doctorā€™ is wrong. Saying ā€˜we need to hire to hire a female in that departmentā€™ is wrong. But saying ā€˜women often prefer to go to female doctors for safety reasonsā€™ is correct (and factual).

37 Likes

This deserves its own topic, I think. Any leaders up for making the transfer over?

ETA: Thank you, @Nightflyer !

6 Likes

Ah the blessings of mansplaining goes on and onā€¦ we are such lucky FE-MALESā€¦

Frustrated Miss Piggy GIF

24 Likes

What ifā€¦hear me outā€¦the word cromulent was completely made up without any intention of it being more than a hapax legomenon, and its continued existence is defined entirely by how people choose to use it now?

30 Likes
3 Likes

3 Likes

Which species?

18 Likes

Butā€¦ butā€¦ itā€™s in a DICTIONARY! Words can NEVER be used contrary to what DICTIONARY saysā€¦ :wink:

13 Likes

I waffle on that songā€¦ somedays, Iā€™m feeling 90s nostalgia, and other days, Iā€™m like ā€œthat songs annoying me because it used femaleā€¦ā€

5 Likes

Iron Man was a Fe-Male.
Pass it on.

42 Likes

trying not to laugh robert downey jr GIF

27 Likes

Adding to that, if a I may, dictionaries that have bothered to define it donā€™t seem to require the ā€œhumorousā€ part. Certainly the examples they use donā€™t imply it.

Neither Oxford nor Webster have included it, though Webster does give its history.

9 Likes

And of course, letā€™s keep in mind that language is an ever evolving beast whose usage often transcends whatever stuffy white people put into booksā€¦ all to the good, Iā€™d say.

16 Likes

10 Likes