On calling women "females" (and why you shouldn't)

Keanu Reeves Reaction GIF

7 Likes

Just the first one. The sequels suck!

18 Likes

That was actually funny.

Kudos.

10 Likes

I checked the Acronym and Glossary topic and found this, it says don’t use the word and then points to this topic.

Female(s) - unless you’re describing animals or filling out a form, use woman/women please. Better yet, evaluate whether its necessary to use at all. Exception: when used in conjunction with male. See also

The title includes “and why you shouldn’t” but so far no one has said why it shouldn’t be used, just don’t.

I don’t think I’ve ever described a woman as female unless it was a multiple choice check box on a medical form for my wife or mom.

Can someone please explain the why part?

Fe(II)male or Fe(III)male?

Oxidation state is very important!

18 Likes

19 Likes

15 Likes

Why, do you have trouble taking our word for it without bullet points?

13 Likes

Ironic man?

14 Likes

Ferrous Man and Ferric Man! The Iron Twins!

15 Likes

17 Likes

He’s a total wheel!

13 Likes

ferris bueller's day off GIF by Coolidge Corner Theatre

13 Likes

For anyone who feels confused, an article with this paragraph was fairly easy to discover:

Robin Lakoff, a linguistics professor at the University of California at Berkeley, says that female has always been a bad word, “maybe it’s just now becoming more explicitly recognized.” A female can be any species, Lakoff argues, but only a human can be a woman, so to refer to a woman as a female “is to subtly downgrade her to a lower mammalian status, rather like calling a guy an ‘ape,’” Lakoff says. That said, “to be able to call a guy an ape is possible only when he is a particular kind of guy — clumsy, brutish, etc. But any woman can be called, disparagingly, a ‘female’ just because of the chromosome thing. Same with the very bad c -word, vs. what ought to be parallel, prick , or dick . Any woman can get those words applied to her by the average misogynist, and makes no reference to any specific qualities other than femaleness. But to be one of the male words, a guy has to be obnoxious.”

And before anyone else chimes in: yes, the article is about reclaiming the word female. In it the author says

allowing virtually every word that can be applied to women, except women , as negative we are helping men box us in with their “male gaze” of the English language

But on my trip around the internet just now that article was the only place someone was saying “maybe the word could be used” and the rest was either misuse or descriptions thereof.

27 Likes

Brilliant break down for those who have trouble “getting it.”

Thanks!

16 Likes

No, that would be Ferris, Man!

11 Likes

12 Likes

I agree that if women do not want to be described by that word, I/we/men/anyone should refrain from using it but…

That post, How did World War I impact women?, is under the category Strong Female Characters.

Is that an exception or is it different? If it’s either one, that’s kind of why I asked the question.

What’s wrong with “because women don’t like it”?

And why does it not occur to some folks that it is the same dynamics as “Why can’t I say the N-word?” or the R-word, or any of those words?

19 Likes

Too easy, too much like ‘right.’

17 Likes