General Moderation Topic

Pardon the ignorant questions, but what exactly does anonymization do? Is it reversible? For what reasons might a user request anonymization? Is it a stalking or doxxing thing? Can the user still post using their anonymized profile?

Just curious, mostly. This BBS has so many features it’s hard to keep track sometimes.

12 Likes

Anonymization removes all references to your email, username/password, and any other personal information (including IP history) from your account. It is irreversible, and you cannot use the account afterward.

It allows your posts to stay (thereby preventing the disruption of old conversations), without including any identifying data. People can request it for any reason, we don’t require an explanation, but I do tend to make it very clear that the act cannot be reversed (because we’ve lost all identifying data that would prove ownership of an account).

37 Likes

Thanks for the explanation.

8 Likes

Damn right.

10 Likes

User DizBuster has been given a timeout for apparently believing the gender gap doesn’t exist and it’s all a big misunderstanding. Oh, and that “females” who respond to him are just being emotional, too.

Way to not read a room of mutants.

29 Likes

8 posts were split to a new topic: On calling women “females” (and why you shouldn’t)

User 8-p has been banned for directly attacking other mutants.

20 Likes

18 posts were split to a new topic: On Covid reporting

User Flanker7 has been given a brief timeout for “rooting for violent uprisings”, which is pretty much the opposite of “be cool”.

21 Likes

Jeroen_Metselaa has been given a timeout for taking issue with other mutants criticizing their position, and tossing barbs at those users, rather than their statements.

This is not the forum for anyone who 1) thinks they should have the right to state their opinion without criticism, or 2) anyone who believes that any criticism of their position must be in bad faith.

That sort of polarization is _everywhere in public discourse nowadays, leading to a “you agree with me or you are my enemy” mindset far too often. That mentality has no place here, and my thanks to those who flag posts from individuals reacting this way towards other members.

20 Likes

User pmhparis has been given a timeout for taking a challenge to their opinion personally and lashing out at other members as a result.

This is a friendly reminder that your freedom to post here extends to expressing your opinions and challenging those of others only - it does not extend to criticizing (or worse) the people behind those opinions. We expect those who choose to post here to be treated with respect, even if you disagree with their opinions.

This is the way.

20 Likes

User mccavfefe has been suspended until the thread they resorted to trying to derail has closed.

13 Likes

Thanks!

Just FYI, that poster was derailing in another thread as well, in addition to being generally insulting and condescending (to me, not that it matters who):

https://bbs.boingboing.net/t/introducing-karen-the-musical/213907/23?u=mindysan33

https://bbs.boingboing.net/t/introducing-karen-the-musical/213907/24?u=mindysan33

https://bbs.boingboing.net/t/introducing-karen-the-musical/213907/27?u=mindysan33

15 Likes

Yep, you’re right, in reviewing both their posts on that topic, all the way back to their joining the BBS it’s clear that this user has, from the very beginning, come here to pick a fight with both the Authors and members here.

aint nobody got time for that GIF

I’ve permanently banned them.

27 Likes

And to @jlw!

Jon Stewart Thank You GIF

22 Likes

:clap: :clap:

19 Likes

User beOHbe has been given a timeout after doing an incredible sealion impression and turning a lighthearted post about expressing gratitude to a performer into a debate session with them alone. Being responsible for 1/3rd of ALL the posts on a topic is probably a good indication that you are both sucking all the air out of the room and likely taking the topic a little too personally.

15 Likes

User jimmyjone has been banned after spending the last two days on a mission to ensure they had the right to ask questions of the BBS their way, while simultaneously treating any negative response to their opinion as a personal attack, and racking up over half of all flags thrown in the process.

This was a classic attempt to “sealion” by some of me who, I think was no even realize they were doing it - they had made the topic, and indeed the moderation around their comments, the focus of the conversation, demanding validation of their position and their right to sap everyone’s time the focus of their comments.

This even devolved into a heated argument with the moderation team about how they could be acting in “bad faith” when they are “just asking questions,” apparently failing to realize that the faith in question was staying on topic and focusing on the conversation happening around them, not whether or not they had the “right” to ask the questions in the first place.

Not all bad faith is malicious, and I don’t think this user was either, but it was crystal clear by the end of this adventure that the user was not interested w conversation on the communities terms, but only on their own. That is not a good-faith conversation by any definition.

27 Likes

Asking questions means being open to receiving answers while understanding that those answers may not be to your liking. And “How dare you ask that!” is a valid answer. If you’re not interested in the answers, don’t ask questions.

6 Likes

I can’t think of one time this justification has ever been used in good faith.

20 Likes