General Moderation Topic

This thread is primarily for announcements. Your query is more for here:

5 Likes

Was a gun mentioned anywhere in the article? Let alone the parents getting their teen one?

The phrase “but what about the cost of tea in China?” comes to mind here. Feel free to open your own topic if you wish, do not derail topics while “Just Asking (unrelated) Questions”, please.

15 Likes

9 posts were split to a new topic: Defining “off topic”

User Yasif has been banned for derailing a topic and making it about them - again, after previously being specifically warned not to engage in this behaviour.

On a related note, anothernewbbaccount has all received a suspension for feeding that same derail with other unrelated posts and topics as ammunition.

We have multiple topics to discuss this sort of thing (including this one) and I have on multiple occasions punted at the various ways that Boing Boing has to reach out to Authors or the site in general in this very topic. Please use them. These sorts of off topic comments in topics in an unthreaded forum like this one completely kill the primary conversation- about the original post itself. Please don’t do that. Use one of the many alternatives posted here repeatedly. Thank you.

20 Likes

The warning below apparently didn’t stick, and Ghost_In_A_Jar has now been banned for continuing their quest to only have BB cover what they want them to cover.

25 Likes

User avunculoid has been banned. People who believe, or who create posts suggesting that transphobia is only something someone should be worried about appearing to care about, rather than bigotry being a real, genuine thing that affects real people today, have no place with Boing Boing.

35 Likes

16 Likes

User TheChineseWatch was suspended for 1 month for using bad analogies as a gateway to slinging unfounded insults.

15 Likes

User Humbabella anonymized at user request.

11 Likes

I am saddened by this. Humbabella’s thoughtful posts were one of the things that drew me to the BBS.

They will be missed.

56 Likes

I’m not saddened, I am a bit shocked.

Their posts were really worth reading. And they seemed to be very much an integral part of the community.

I can’t follow the BBS as much as I used to, so I don’t know their recent posts. But I mourn that loss.

29 Likes

Pardon the ignorant questions, but what exactly does anonymization do? Is it reversible? For what reasons might a user request anonymization? Is it a stalking or doxxing thing? Can the user still post using their anonymized profile?

Just curious, mostly. This BBS has so many features it’s hard to keep track sometimes.

12 Likes

Anonymization removes all references to your email, username/password, and any other personal information (including IP history) from your account. It is irreversible, and you cannot use the account afterward.

It allows your posts to stay (thereby preventing the disruption of old conversations), without including any identifying data. People can request it for any reason, we don’t require an explanation, but I do tend to make it very clear that the act cannot be reversed (because we’ve lost all identifying data that would prove ownership of an account).

37 Likes

Thanks for the explanation.

8 Likes

Damn right.

10 Likes

User DizBuster has been given a timeout for apparently believing the gender gap doesn’t exist and it’s all a big misunderstanding. Oh, and that “females” who respond to him are just being emotional, too.

Way to not read a room of mutants.

29 Likes

8 posts were split to a new topic: On calling women “females” (and why you shouldn’t)

User 8-p has been banned for directly attacking other mutants.

20 Likes

18 posts were split to a new topic: On Covid reporting

User Flanker7 has been given a brief timeout for “rooting for violent uprisings”, which is pretty much the opposite of “be cool”.

21 Likes