General Moderation Topic

Thank you! That was some expert-level sealioning, methinks. As someone who got a bit carried away replying, I appreciate all that y’all do to keep the peace.

17 Likes

12 Likes

Bless you , @orenwolf , I can imagine today is going to be a /day/

10 Likes

Honestly, I can’t image how Skeptic1 would have reacted to a BB posting of this:

11 Likes

I can, and I’m glad we don’t have to see for sure.

How to never be wrong

36 Likes

User NewNow has been banned for trying to insinuate that an avowed racist bringing, and using, lethal weaponry to a Black Lives Matter protest, and firing on protestors, regardless of the colour of their skin, is somehow devoid of any racism whatsoever.

38 Likes

12 posts were merged into an existing topic: Griping about moderation, bias, et cetera

User evilkolbot has been banned for repeatedly failing to be cool.

14 Likes

That user is still listed as one of the regulars. Not sure if that will change automatically or if you might want to clean that up. Just thought I’d point it out.

1 Like

I fail to see how it is relevant, the user won’t be returning.

In the past, when regulars were banned, their status was immediately downgraded to member.

It’s not really a big deal; I just thought that was how things worked.

User scottslemmons has been banned for using corrections as an excuse to verbally abuse Boing Boing and the Authors.

We make mistakes. We appreciate being corrected when we do. Those that instead would prefer our imperfections to instead be the basis of their platform of insults and disruptive behaviour we do not appreciate. They will be dealt with appropriately.

17 Likes

User prooftheory has been banned for attempting to use the moderation system to silence several of our members (many of whom happened to identify as women), while also making a giant mess for the mods to clean up.

1. we are unbelievably lucky to have a larger-than-average contingent of users who identify as women here. Not the place to post if women who defend their positions unsettles you.

2. Discourse has an extremely robust moderation system. Attempts to game it will almost certainly fail.

3. when attempting to undermine users, doing so in a way that creates a shitstorm for the mods is almost certainly the very worst of the options to choose. Don’t do that.

33 Likes

You rock, @orenwolf!

22 Likes

Woman GIF

17 Likes

Excited Turn Up GIF by Women's History

14 Likes

This is why we can have nice things.

(This = Great Moderators)

13 Likes

As ever, much gratitude for the stellar job you do, Oren.

21 Likes

User LDoBe has been banned for intentionally posting something to have it deleted. Having amassed a number of prior suspensions it seemed not worthwhile to let them return.

7 Likes

I’m really confused how it’s determined when something is off topic and gets removed.

How was my comment about whether the teens being targeted with a flame thrower in Florida would be within their rights to defend themselves with a gun off topic?

Seems that was within the topic.

I’ve had a couple posts removed, one of them I understood, the others I have no clue.

Also, is this the topic to ask this question?