General Moderation Topic

Not a criticism, but I can imagine a locked possibly contentious post having a greater risk of being flagged than the same post unlocked (that is, BBers can respond instead with comments). I guess that’s the risk taken when one locks their post.

I haven’t tried but I don’t think you can flag locked posts by administrators/the boing boing account.

Geez. Even if I write it as t<and rhymes with>roll it still gets held for moderation. They are super serious about this stuff.

5 Likes

The only time it is a problem is when you want to cite an article that has the word in its title, and then by the time it gets approved, the conversation has moved on and your point becomes “too little, too late.” Otherwise, there are always synonyms.

5 Likes

But will it one box?

10 Likes

Yeah - this aspect is super annoying. Sometimes URLs trigger it as well.

5 Likes

Tried to link wikipedia. Not allowed.

2 Likes

Welp, I think this settles the matter once and for all.

19 Likes

You might be thinking of a post today that was necrobumped from 2019, with the comments closed from the original post.

Nah, there were some new posts recently that he preemptively locked. But it’s his prerogative. We don’t have to like it. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

8 Likes

User Kevin_Slattery has been given a timeout to reflect on whether his comments about Muslims in America represent a poorly executed troll (in which case, do not return), or their not being in tune with the kinds of bullshit minorities and vulnerable groups put up with every day. If it’s the latter, we hope they use this time to learn about the subject in more detail.

24 Likes

User jaf anonymized at user request.

5 Likes

User Bytheway banned for directly attacking other users.

17 Likes

Thanks again for all the hard work you do, Oren.

19 Likes

I’m kind of confused. I’ve had two posts flagged and removed in the past and I kind of understood why but I can’t figure out why one of my posts was removed today .

All I got was an automated response that it was removed because it was flagged but there is no explanation other than Your post was flagged as inappropriate: the community feels it is offensive, abusive…

It would be nice to know why the post was flagged and then later removed. I really don’t know what part of my post was inappropriate or abusive or offensive.

Or is there a way to handle this privately?

Thanks

1 Like
14 Likes

Thanks.

User saturniner has been banned for directly attacking other users.

19 Likes

User keithe has been given a timeout for assuming those who disagree with them are “enemies” acting in bad faith. They are not, we just have a diverse set of opinions here, and those which are expressed within our guidelines are welcome.

18 Likes

User Skeptic1 has been banned for trying to… somehow… claim the very site that has reported antisemitic attacks against the very Authors or friends of Boing Boing itself - is itself antisemitic. Or something. I’m not 100% sure. I just know shit-disturbers when I see them.

The user can find another platform willing to spread their hate for free, I’m sure.

36 Likes