General Moderation Topic

User Derek_Tutschulte has been banned. We do not abide bullies here.

There has been a spate of users going after others over the last few weeks. In more than one case, this has been followed by a revelation by the perpetrator of emotional burnout or similar issues, with the members asking to be reinstated.

I do not believe that genie can go back in the bottle after you have burned the community this way, so I ask everyone to, please, consider your own mental health, and take a breath before you post.

The pandemic has, IMHO, broken a lot of online discourse. Be it the scope of Poe’s Law, the scope of misinformation and the people behind it moving from “annoying” to killing people, and several groups within our communities being under siege just for being who they are.

Take a breath before you post. try to make sure you are contributing constructively to the online discourse here. For many, taking a jab at someone like this poster is cathartic, knowing the moderators will come behind and clean it up. But that behaviour lowers the quality of discourse here for everyone. Please flag instead, for everyone’s mental health. Deprive these users of material to weaponize.

Thank you.

31 Likes

Thank U Reaction GIF by MOODMAN

16 Likes

I’m sorry for being part of that and thanks for what you do.

13 Likes

User @Dioptase1 has been permanently uninvited from this party for not sneaking his sly racism and accusations into posts slyly enough.

I think @orenwolf was banning him at the same time I was. :slight_smile:

21 Likes

You got there first :wink:

18 Likes

You guys can split this

17 Likes

@orenwolf - not a mod topic exactly, but this post from @jlw has a comments link that links back to the post (that old bug again) and I suspect nobody has got there, because it does not even appear in any BBS search.

4 Likes

User lambaste anonymized at user request.

3 Likes

@orenwolf and another one doing the same. Is there an alternative method/place you’d prefer we used to we report these?

I note the 9 Oct one re High School principal still not fixed - did jlw deliberately disable comments? If so, removing the comments link would be a better idea. But as the comments link was there, can we assume this was the same old bug again?

1 Like

What’s up with Mark locking posts? Charles Burns etc.

5 Likes

Authors are free to choose the posts they do and do not want comments on.

8 Likes

Don’t know if this the right place to ask.

What triggers a post needing approval? I’ve posted almost 500 times without any major incident, on two occasions my post needed to get approval. The latest was in the toxic Disney topic. It’s waiting approval now but I can’t figure out why.

Thanks.

2 Likes

There is a list of words that trigger an automatic review… So, that’s likely what happened. As long as the use of the word is in good faith, it should be approved.

10 Likes

Thanks.

3 Likes

No Problem Ok GIF by MOODMAN

4 Likes

If you wrote a word that starts with T and rhymes with roll, then you can just edit the pending post and replace the offending word with the similar word “Goblin” and your post will go right up.

6 Likes

I just tried to give an example of a trigger word and it had to wait for approval. The word starts with “tr” and rhymes with “soul”. I had even obscured it by replacing the “o” with “()”.

3 Likes

It was the t word but it was definitely in context and not name calling of board members. I changed it and will remember for future posts.

I also couldn’t edit the pending post, had to delete it. All is good and I learned something.

Thanks

4 Likes

Context matters here. Accusing other posters of posting in bad faith is going to get your post rejected - you should flag posts where you believe this is happening.

Of course, words are used in many contexts, and sometimes get caught for other reasons (it’s not just specific words that can cause a post to be held). We try to review these as quickly as possible, and the number of “innocent” posts held is, thankfully, very small, while these same filters catch quite a few spammers or drive-by troublemakers before their posts even make it to the wider BBS.

16 Likes

OK, different question, as long as we’re gathered here this afternoon:

If I view the page with topics organized as “New,” it allows me to sort those topics in order of most recent Replies, Views, and Activity. Is there a “switch” to add a tab to allow us to organize by “most recently posted” or something? I’d be interested in ordering the results by most recently posted instead of the others.

1 Like