On Ferrero Rocher

Or a movie.

5 Likes

To this day, I’ve never had Turkish Delight and I had to ask my mother what it was that Edmund wanted so badly.
The Fry’s ad particularly seems like a low-rent imitation of those old Chanel No.5 ads that Ridley Scott and Vangelis did.

6 Likes

Regarding “might feed an English bigot’s laughter”:

6 Likes
1 Like

There was an interesting Atlas Obscura article on this subject, entitled “C.S. Lewis’s Greatest Fiction Was Convincing American Kids That They Would Like Turkish Delight”.

8 Likes

There’s only one classic Ridley Scott ad.

2 Likes

We had that same ad in Mexico too, I’ll make this post a Wiki just in case anybody wants to add to it:

Countries that ran this ad:

• UK
  • Italy
  • Mexico
  • Germany

Edit: Looks like it might not be possible to make a wiki anymore :frowning: Will add as required

1 Like

Is Fry’s Turkish Delight the same thing as Big Turk in Canada? Last time I was there I bought one and it tasted like chocolate covered swedish fish.

Nicole?..

2 Likes

I’m shocked!

Not one Father Ted reference!??!!

8 Likes

For me in Venezuela the chocolate that we used as the “special treat” was Toronto, which is a chocolate bonbon with a hazelnut inside (and its excellent when slightly warm/melty as the chocolate is creamier) or Pirulin, which is an airy yet crunchy wafer straw filled with hazelnut chocolate. Both are expensive and very delicious, thankfully i can find both here in Austin :smiley: Pirulin (or Pirucream as branded for the US market) is very very delicious and its very hard to eat just a few.

3 Likes

Shades of this epic advert:

7 Likes
10 Likes

“I thought Turkish Delight was a euphemism for sex. Its only candy? I am disappointed”
-Nerdy Guy from Robot Chicken Narnia parody.

4 Likes

This was done in 1981 to interest America in a “new” type of mustard from a (gasp!) glass jar:

SNL parody including the late Phil Hartman:

9 Likes

Sure hope not considering Edmud was underage and Jadis the White Witch was over 100.

2 Likes

Germany

Ich geb’ mir die Kugel!

1 Like
5 Likes

Making her REALLY evil! (and as a byproduct, The Lion, The Witch and The Wardrobe far more interesting in retrospect)

Pretty sure the guy who’s contemplatively consuming a Ferrero Rocher off a platter in the ad is also character actor Wolf Kahler, aka Nazi whose head blows up in Raiders of the Lost Ark:

10 Likes