On restoring Star Wars

I’ve got the first DVD box set, which apparently had its own issues - poor colouring for a start (Darth Vader’s lightsaber was pink). I rarely watch them because of the special edition f**kery.

I’ve also got the version mentioned above - the rip of the widescreen laserdisc prints. It’s not the best as far as visual clarity and so forth, but that is the version I lend to nieces & nephews, so they grow up with the light side of the force - the side where Han indubitably shoots first.

I’m presuming Disney will work out whatever they need to do to release the originals - probably around when the new film will come out. They could probably do with a spare billion dollars or so…

I’m not sure even Harmy’s incredibly detail-oriented and tasteful approach to re-editing can save the prequels. They’d wind up as a seven-minute Not So Greatest Hits compilation.

Inb4 “it’s Lucas’ baby, he can do whatever he wants to it”: A) can != should, and 2) You can’t do whatever you want to a baby.

1 Like

Almost 30 years after Reagan, and the Repbulicans are still pushing Star Wars :wink:

Ah, right, they’re using Palpatine as a case study on how to have take control over a corrupt republic using force (military as well as the capital-F one), racism, cronies, and old money.

Excellent point.

Also, Lucas has every right to create derivative works and call them by the same title. There’s just no reason not to allow both to thrive. I for one have no stake in this issue - I am a fan, but couldn’t care less about the changes.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.