On the "fakeness" of nature documentaries

Wish I could find it now, but I saw the best episode of any nature show ever. No idea the name or the presenter involved.

Show in Greenland, it featured a guy going with a native Greenlander (one of the ones descended from Vikings) going with Caribou hunting.

BAM!

Caribou is down.

Greenlander explains to presenter, as he slits open the belly of the caribou that the locals will eat raw the chewed cud inside the stomach, and that’s it’s full of vitamins–very healthy salad.

So the presenter hesitantly takes a pinch and puts it in his mouth and chews.

“Ohmigod that is so gross!” says the local Greenlander.

lol.

3 Likes

So much duh in this clip.

The ethical line is crossed when the documentarian misrepresents behavior, or worse, intervenes to film misrepresentations (look up lemmings mass suicides).

In the editing room, as long as the final cut is true to the nature of the subject, who cares what order it was shot in or that one clip after another came from different days in the field? Or that foley is added to enhance the scene?

Rather than fighting this as “fake documentary” we should be fighting the steady creep of reality TV tropes into our documentaries.

1 Like

Reminds me of the Grand Theft Auto players who decided they’d rather make nature documentaries than run over hookers:

and

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.