On the topic of guillotines and false equivalencies

I have some nifty stickers, if you want…

8 Likes

I don’t know, but they seem to be getting more common.

6 Likes

I am now very curious about the context and origin of that photo… but not enough to start being serious.

6 Likes

You just have to know where to look.

9 Likes

I saw it on TheChive. Reverse image says its from a blog of a couple of guys surfing the subways in Paris.

6 Likes

That makes a weird sort of sense.

6 Likes

Your quote could be straight from a 1932 German centrist. How’d that turn out, again?

5 Likes

8 Likes

What do you think about “Beat the fascists wherever you encounter them!” It was a slogan of German communists in the 20:s. How did that turn out? The Weimar republic had no shortage of fights between nazis and the left. It helped the nazis recruit people who were more interested in fighting than in ideology and weakened the government which was seen as helpless to keep order.

OTOH, in New York Jewish mobsters with quiet support from police and media infiltrated and broke up nazi meetings using baseball bats. Sometimes violence can work, but it is risky and you’d better know you are the stronger group.

I hope you realize the contradiction between using the guillotine as a warning about the consequences of violence, and your calls for more violence. I also hope you have stockpiled plenty of guns if you do want to escalate the fighting, because the right sure have plenty of them.

Reminding someone that engaging in a behaviour (walking in the woods/ignoring the needs of the many) that has resulted in bad outcomes (being eaten by a bear/having your head chopped off) in the past is not a threat. It’s more of a public service.

8 Likes

I think you missed a few lessons from that time period. The problem wasn’t too many people fighting the Nazis, it was not enough people fighting the Nazis.That, and groups that should have been working together to fight the Nazis (the KPD and the Iron Front, for example) were fighting each other, too.

And you are intentionally misunderstanding me if you think I’m calling for violence. I’m not, per se. I’m in support of groups defending themselves from violence. You really live in your own little world if you aren’t aware that neo-Nazis are already there.

11 Likes

If only the commies, and gays, and Jews had spoke civilly, the Nazis would not have had to put them in brutal camps or kill them all… /s

JFC.

13 Likes

6 Likes

Did you miss how I wrote "it is risky and you’d better know you are the stronger group? Fighting and losing strenghtened the nazis.

You seem awfully eager to protest against anyone who suggest violence may not be a good solution. If my call to “violence is a tactic that has to be used sparingly as a last resort” is wrong, then what could you possibly think is right…

So far it seems the justice system can handle it, which is better than private vigilantes. Striking back when under direct attack as in Cider Riot is one thing, but don’t you think it was a good thing that there is evidence it was the far right who went there to deliberately start the fight? Charlottesville was a big blow to the far right, not because they were beaten up by a street mob, but at the contrary because they seemed like violent lunatics.

No. Again, you need to know your facts before you post this BS. The KPD, Iron Front, etc. vastly outnumbered the Nazis. They were the stronger group - if they had 1. recognized the threat on time (they were late to figure out the Nazi’s endgame) and 2. worked together instead of against each other.

But the real tragedy was the large group of “moderate centrists” who stayed passive or even helped the Nazis. You wouldn’t happen to know any of those, would you?

Just because I disagree with some of what you write doesn’t mean I disagree with all of it. It’s bad faith to assume so.

BULLSHIT. Joey Gibson isn’t in jail. It took months after the Cider Riot attack for the authorities to even charge him, even with an undercover plant in his organization documenting his orchestration of the attack and feeding it directly to the police. And we’re not talking about an undercover cop, just a local dude who chose to risk his life to show what Patriot Prayer was really about. JFC.

11 Likes

You mean, they did it to piss off Joey? (if the meaning of this isn’t clear, check out this 270+ post thread)

8 Likes

You can always create what-if scenarios, and conveniently enough, no one can ever know what would have happened. I could bring up a number of countries that also had fascist movements, no one beat them down, and they died from lack of support. It’s not so simple that more force necessarily solve a problem.

Seriously??? You protested against a short, specific statement I made and now you try to wiggle out if it by pretending you didn’t disagree with “all of it”, and to add to the insult you accuse me of arguing in bad faith. You and the others on your side have from the start refused to treat this as an argument, and rather seen it as an interrogation where “anything you say can and will be used against you”. This is pointless, and I’m out of here. You can go on patting each other on the back telling each other how right you are if it amuses you.

Yes, and that’s a heroic thing to do. He risked his own life to show that the Patriot Prayers were the bad guys to help the police. Something that is quite different from the “crush the fascists” popular here.

Enjoy your ragequit, I guess?

My primary counterpoint all along is that there is a whole array of appropriate responses between passivity and violence, in contrast to your equation of guillotine gifs to violence. I would invite you to examine your own inflexibility in this discussion, if you’re going to accuse me of interrogating you.

7 Likes

Dude, we get it, already; you’re soooo much better and more civilized than all of us, put together.

Virtue%20Signal

9 Likes

“If we really think about it, there were two Reigns of Terror; in one people were murdered in hot and passionate violence; in the other they died because people were heartless and did not care. One Reign of Terror lasted a few months; the other had lasted for a thousand years; one killed a thousand people, the other killed a hundred million people. However, we only feel horror at the French Revolution’s Reign of Terror. But how bad is a quick execution, if you compare it to the slow misery of living and dying with hunger, cold, insult, cruelty and heartbreak? A city cemetery is big enough to contain all the bodies from that short Reign of Terror, but the whole country of France isn’t big enough to hold the bodies from the other terror. We are taught to think of that short Terror as a truly dreadful thing that should never have happened: but none of us are taught to recognize the other terror as the real terror and to feel pity for those people.”

— Mark Twain, A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur’s Court

14 Likes