On vacation in rural Ohio, found where they keep the racism

Women can’t really all be sticky, glass and hollow… But how some try! :wink:

3 Likes

In fairness, neither did you.

If it’s a family relic; keep it (or not, nods to @n1h80k4TStjgpQ )
If it’s your job: crack on (nods to @Mindysan33 )
Otherwise: WTF? Put it in a museum. A proper museum, not Racist Bob’s Museum of Racist Shit & Bar.

(for context, I generally don’t understand people who collect medals, either. Some I do. Lord Ashcroft, for example, seems genuine, and isn’t a dick about it. But most of them … why would you want someone else’s medals? I just don’t get it. Go earn your own.)

Edit: +1 for the Falling Down clip. I thought of the same thing.

5 Likes

And? I wasn’t getting high and mighty about how awesome and non-Nazi I am.

I know it makes me a terrible person, but I’d totally hate-visit that place. The name alone…

9 Likes

History. You have to remember the bad stuff along with the not-so-bad stuff, or else none of it’s worth anything. As others have said, context is everything.

Seen this? It’s the Oatmeal’s memories of Idaho. It isn’t Iowa but it still has a lot of vowels…

1 Like

O ce in North Carolina, I came across one of these shops that was selling Hitler’s fine china. There were even photographs of him using the set.

Also, if I were to buy those plates or anything else, it would be for the historical side of things.

1 Like

And no one comments on the Nixon memorabilia?

2 Likes

Came here for this. Thanks.

That does not get less funny upon re-watching.

Nope. There is a display just like it in the antique mall I go to in Phoenix, me and my girl friend call it the Hitler Shelf. The one here, though, is exclusively Nazi “memorabilia” and knives, though.

Perhaps there is a universal rule of Antique Mall Nazi Shelves?

Yeah, you’ll also notice that similar gas stations sell other tchotchkes (sp?), like ‘joke’ books, some of which can be utterly racist and many of which are insulting to women.

2 Likes

I would not visit such a place, but I would love to see the 2 AM television commercial. Come on down to Racist Bob’s bar where all the employees are CRAZY!!!

3 Likes

No no, Racist Bob’s Bar is across the street from Not Racist Bob’s Museum of Racist Shit & Bar. They’ve got a shuffleboard table but their happy hour is shit.

3 Likes

I meant ‘you’ in the general sense, as in ‘generally everyone in this thread who said something like “but they were souvenirs!”’

Meh. Religion is much the same. But in either case that doesn’t mean I have to remember it in my house.

FWIW, I’m speaking as someone who has a collection of ‘war stuff’ that includes six medals, a kukri, a handmade machete, a lethal slingshot made out of rubbish, a couple of 25-pr cart case, a 2-pr cart case, a 105mm cart case, a 76mm cart case, a whole bunch of small arms cart cases, some projectiles, some shrapnel, a cigarette case and lighter made from the aluminium from a crashed fighter, and a pair of binoculars. Plus some other stuff. All of it is either mine (as in given to, used by, or or found by me) or came from one of my grandfathers.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.