Why are these children "sieg heiling" the American flag?

Originally published at: http://boingboing.net/2016/08/12/why-are-these-children-sieg.html

3 Likes

I thought there was little evidence that ancient Romans ever did that outside of neoclassical paintings like Oath of the Horatii.

3 Likes

We do have literal fasces adorning the various buildings in the capitol that predate the rise of fascism in Europe as well. The Indiana War Memorial which was built not long after WWI has them all over the place.

As an aside, the architecture and decor of that whole building makes you feel like you’ve stepped into Bioshock Infinite.

14 Likes

You can also glimpse old swastikas here and there. I have a screw driver with one. Pretty cool looking. The Fasces was a popular motif as well and lined up with the early motto, “United we stand, divided we fall.”

The Nazis ruined a lot of cool stuff. Some day we will forget about how they tarnished certain things and use them again.

12 Likes

There is evidence that raising the right arm in salute was something done back then:

However, there appears to be no evidence that it was formalized beyond “raise your right arm.” Contemporary depictions show the arm raised at all sorts of angles, arms straight, arms bent, palms up, hands closed, and a bunch of other variations.

2 Likes

I prefer the new ritual, where we jump the Grand Canyon with a monster truck while eating deep fried fireworks.

25 Likes

Confusion.

“the military salute—right hand lifted, palm downward, to a line with the forehead and close to it.”

The “to a line with the forehead and close to it” suggests to me the typical modern, yes-sir military salute with the hand “shading” the eyes, in effect, not a straight armed salute like the image. Neat picture and all, but the description given and the image do not match.

5 Likes

Who interestingly did not include the words “under God”, which were added in 1954.

14 Likes

That guys ruins EVERYTHING!

7 Likes

The words “Under God” were added to the pledge in 1954. My grandfather would stumble saying the pledge and wouldn’t say those words.
Many religious people, like 7th day Adventists and Church Of Christ would’t say the pledge at schools, because it was putting a “graven image” up for worship by evoking God’s Name.

13 Likes

It was also the official Olympic salute… then, well, you know the rest.

2 Likes

shudder… that’s just friggin’ creepy.

6 Likes

I think you may have a word out.

It’s so strange to hear you talk about swastikas being “ruined,” because in my mind I can’t detach them from Nazis, but I know what you mean. When I was a very little kid and I didn’t know what a Nazi was, I drew them because I thought they looked interesting. eventually my mom saw it and told me something simple enough for me to understand to get me to stop.

I like E Pluribus Unum a lot better than In God We Trust. One has a lot more historical and practical meaning than the other.

6 Likes

I know right? This salute. That mustache. The swastika. Europe. Sheesh.

2 Likes

It is one of the oldest and most widely used symbols in humanity’s history. I think I first became aware of this in a HOW article.

Places high in Buddhists and Hindus aren’t having it and still use it. It was extremely popular in America as a good luck symbol and an Art Deco motif, and used by several Native American tribes, most notably the Navajo. I have seen it used as military emblems by American and the Polish until WWII.

4 Likes

If you think you have it bad imagine how Charlie Chaplin must have felt. He probably couldn’t go outside without that hat on for the rest of his life.

4 Likes

Must’ve got really annoying with all those people pointing and asking for his autograph and then getting all disappointed when he turned out not to be Ron Mael.

3 Likes

I have an old saddle stamped with thousands of little swastikas. and don’t forget Clara Bow-

3 Likes

Don’t step off the edge.

1 Like

yep. There’s also the old Edmonton Swastikas hokey team. (1916 for the photo)

3 Likes