Once again, Facebook blames an algorithm instead of taking responsibility

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/04/10/once-again-facebook-blames-an.html

4 Likes

Meanwhile …

7 Likes

Who conceived the algorithm?
Who wrote the algorithm?
Who tested the algorithm?
Who approved the algorithm?
Who put the algorithm in to production?
fbdown

24 Likes

Is it me, or does his wax figure look more alive than he does?

Oh, and this:

11 Likes

Ok, I finally see the value of algorithms.

They’re not for users at all. They can be used to absolve a corporate entity of responsibility. Makes sense.

12 Likes

No. The technology cannot pick up Gore. He’s too heavy.

Other than that, what did you expect? Facebook to actually do something other than promise to do better next time?

Had the exact same thought, I was surprised he looked so life-like and human.

7 Likes

How is it that the wax figure looks more lifelike than the actual man? And I see @FGD135 and @Aeroplane are thinking the same thing, but seriously. Weird.

Facebook will never admit to any wrongdoing. It’s quite Republican that way. Because if they ever do, the floodgates will open wide.

2 Likes

One member of Congress said the video was so violent, it looked like footage from Call of Duty.

and yet, I imagine footage from CoD is allowed, and videos of CoD cosplay would also be allowed, so, yeah, I’m really glad it’s not my job to teach an algorithm what’s “real” vs. “not real”.

4 Likes

The algorithm’s parentage is personal information.

The algorithm did very well on the white board interview.

HR.

Bob, in marketing.

4 Likes

I expect their dissolution and the atoms of every executive within the corporation scattered to the stars.

I mean, that’s inevitable, but I was hoping for something cleaner as well as sooner.

1 Like

If they distract you from the issue, then there is no issue.

And this is why I don’t trust politicians. Of course they think this should be no problem because “we have all this technology”. This is their level of ignorance and they are supposed to be in charge of regulating anything? Ugh.

5 Likes

Absolutely. As I’ve commented several times in the past, the real reason for “AI” or “intelligent programs” is so that there is something else to blame when shit hits the fan. As long as it’s “smart” we can blame it!!

5 Likes

I’d rather avoid the cosmic littering… what did the stars ever do to deserve Zuckerwaste? :wink:

2 Likes

I wish I could find the source of this quote, which goes something like: “We are all star stuff, but so is garbage, so watch it.”

1 Like

“Artist’s conception”

1 Like

tumblr_pl0kobcEm91tcarlro1_500

3 Likes

I am not a fan of Facebook, and I don’t support much of what they do.

As someone who writes code for a living, and has degree in Computer Science, I have to point out that it’s a difficult problem to solve. Detecting whether a video contains “gore” is a very hard problem to solve, and doing in a way that won’t generate a lot of false positives is even more difficult. I see a lot of people here discussing the “algorithm”, but this is exactly the sort of things that computers just suck at, there is no technology in existence that can reliably sensor bad stuff.

6 Likes

I know this might be a typo (or word-o), but it’s also perfectly appropriate.

1 Like