One in 5 people who get COVID-19 experience mental illness within 90 days, study reports

Yeah, I was going to say - 20% of people with a psychiatric disorder? You’d get that just by living under the Trump administration, never mind also living with a pandemic. That number doesn’t seem so far off the baseline for the general population these days.

(I was reading an article about “long covid,” the lengthy covid symptoms many infected people have, and how it’s difficult to distinguish the causes, e.g. any direct neurological impacts of the infection versus the effect of having PTSD after having been on a ventilator or otherwise being seriously ill…)

I mean, I’m pretty sure I’m starting to have severe impacts from worrying about the physical side effects, and I don’t even have covid (yet). Everything new I read adds something new to worry about. I just saw someone on Twitter talking about how her teenage son had it, and now his teeth are falling out because of some vascular damage…

From what I’ve read, it seems like if your symptoms were mild, especially after 90 days, the odds are very good that you’ll be fine. There are some things you might want to keep an eye on, for a while (heart and lung health), but it seems like, for whatever reason, some people are luckier with the impact it has on them. Sadly Trump seems to be one of those people…

All the news about it shuts down that argument (not that it’s really an argument to begin with). So many people who aren’t fine after 90 days. Proof of reinfection in some people. Etc. No sane, knowledgeable person is talking about “herd immunity.”

6 Likes