People who contracted Covid may have "substantial" drop in intelligence, according to The Lancet

Originally published at: People who contracted Covid may have "substantial" drop in intelligence, according to The Lancet | Boing Boing

5 Likes

61 Likes

Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV

42 Likes

15 Likes

And since it has long been the policy of the republican party aimed at their voters: Keep them scared, Keep them stupid …a horrific tin-foil-hat theory about their horrific covid policies crawls forward; (as they themselves generally get vaccinated (often jumping an early queue) yet try to convince their voters that the vaccine/masks is an attack on their “freedoms” )

26 Likes

Did they speculate on a cause? I mean if you are having low oxygen levels for a long amount of time, would that cause low level brain damage?

9 Likes

Let’s hope those effects are temporary, because otherwise, the long-term effects of Covid-19 are going to be even more nasty than they already look like.

30 Likes

Hope is not knowing, and my policy is to err on the side of caution. And the fact is, we do not have IQ points to spare. Get yourselves and your kids vaccinated.

40 Likes

so i guess going forward i’ll have an excuse. yay.

16 Likes

One of my friends who had Covid ten months ago is suffering from these symptoms. She’s a writer, and it’s been hard for her because what was once a pleasure is now a slog for her to do. And I have nothing to offer her except platitudes and my sympathy and the burning hatred of everyone who politicized a pandemic for personal gain. May they all rot in the deepest, darkest hell they can imagine.

72 Likes

Also apparently pediatric type-2 diabetes cases are absolutely exploding due to covid infections. Doctors are really alarmed. We’re going to be spending decades dealing with serious health problems brought about by this virus.

Covid appears to directly infect the brain/nervous system itself, in addition to any issues caused by decreases in oxygen levels. You don’t need to have a serious case at all for it to have this impact.

This appears to be true, regardless. There’s all sorts of seemingly permanent effects covid has on the body that are quite serious, and arise even in “mild” cases.

36 Likes

Given that recent cases of COVID are overwhelmingly among the antivaxxers, how will we know whether the cognitive deficit was caused by the disease or was a preexisting condition?

39 Likes

I have a dipshit alt-right uncle that’s been having trouble with this. He’s always really valued his intelligence, any time he got in an argument he’d shout things like “MY IQ IS 180, WHAT’S YOURS?!” as if anyone gave a fuck. Now, months after he’s recovered from COVID, he’s still having brain fog, can’t focus, has trouble finding words, etc. exactly as described here. I kind of feel bad for the guy, but at the same time, he’s such an asshole, I kind of hope he stays this way, maybe it’ll humble him.

27 Likes

Majestic - bravo!

The one upside of all of this is that I think we will see some serious research and awareness around post viral syndromes. I had some mysterious health problems around a decade ago, and have had issues with brain fog, fatigue, etc. on and off since. It would be nice to figure out what that is all about.

15 Likes

The aggregate effect of every long COVID survivor having an average IQ loss of 7 points is staggering. Ignoring the individual suffering and hardship, a collective societal deficit of that scale is hard for me to even grasp. All jokes aside, we just don’t have that much cognitive processing power to spare.

Let’s hope that the scale of this loss encourages extensive research into therapies to combat the cognitive loss, and that we find ways to minimize the effects. Maybe we will even get lucky and find that some of it reverses course over time on its own. So far, though, luck has been scarce in this pandemic.

37 Likes

The report says

Analysing markers of premorbid intelligence did not support these differences being present prior to infection.

4 Likes

What do you mean “We”? True 'Muricans don’t have no socialized healthcare! It’s all between you and your trustworthy private HMO. /s

6 Likes

Great.
Like I’m not freaked out by the new variant enough.
great...

25 Likes

A disease that creates even more MAGAists. Shit.

21 Likes