People who contracted Covid may have "substantial" drop in intelligence, according to The Lancet

Happy cake day?

3 Likes

Now there is proof that Drumpf got covid years ago.

9 Likes

Yeah… imagine that… it can make them stupider.

7 Likes

Anoxia, depression, lack of physical capacity that supports thought and damage to blood vessels in the brain? Expected- scary as hell. And the blood clots some people get.

17 Likes

The paper is a good example of confirmation bias. The confounding-factors render it meaningless, but everyone is citing it anyway because it’s what we want to believe.

https://pubpeer.com/publications/50EB6601108427F3A68DE7629B3617

8 Likes

A small correction: the Journal was not The Lancet, but EClinicalMedicine, a journal from the same publisher.

9 Likes

Sounds like a really smart guy. I mean you basically win any imaginable argument on the spot like that.

7 Likes

None of this ends well.

10 Likes

My money is on the research showing similarities between autoimmune disorders and long covid.

5 Likes

I rather suspect that if anything is going to shift the US to socialized medicine, a bunch of Republicans having pre-existing conditions their health insurance doesn’t want to cover may be it.

But even in the absence of a public option, we still all end up paying for these kinds of wide-spread health problems as their impact on healthcare costs and availability, the economy, etc. are so severe.

12 Likes

I have had CFS for the last 10-15 years. It did get better but I have never fully recovered.

I can’t help noticing that the symptoms for long covid are similar to the symptoms that I had, except I didn’t have breathing problems.

11 Likes

Unless he can’t remember it anymore.

And now it’ll be interesting to see how many Republican voters will make it to the polls, let alone remember to go.

1 Like

My money is on the microvascular effects (microvascular fibrosis etc…).

But at this point, as most of the COVID cases that are clinical are non-vaccinated people, and a certain party has been pushing the anti-vax line, I have to wonder if this “substantial drop in intelligence” is selection bias.

I mean, they didn’t test people before and after they had covid, so…

6 Likes

The is no doubt that there will be research, by the bushel. There is no way to estimate the chance of finding a way to mitigate the damage, unfortunately. Given a few years, we will fill textbooks with exactly how this bastard fucks up our physiology. Fixing it is a different matter completely.

15 Likes

It was established early on that covid does a number on the endothelial lining of small blood vessels. Filling out the details now.

Given that roughly 25% of our cardiac output goes to feed the brain, it would follow that it would be exquisitely sensitive to something like this.

20 Likes

And as we all know, right-wing nutjobs with diminished cognitive ability are famous for their humility and self-awareness.

14 Likes

Uh yeah… about that…

a screen grab of part of the rest of the thread (for folks who do not love Twitter):

19 Likes

Fascinating and terrifying in roughly equal measure. Also, yuck.

18 Likes