People who contracted Covid may have "substantial" drop in intelligence, according to The Lancet

One of the things that I am grateful for is that my brain fog mostly went away. It still comes up occasionally, it will combine with my dyslexia when I am very stressed and think someone said or wrote the opposite of what they did (to everyone I have done this to, I am genuinely sorry). The worst part about it is that it will take me several hours to realise my mistake.

At least I am not doing things like putting my house keys in the freezer after shopping, or trying to cook food in the washing machine anymore, because it made sense at the time (thankfully I never got as far as putting my clothes in a hot oven). I had to learn to be strict about unitasking and pacing myself to avoid these mistakes.

19 Likes

The miracle of your existence, of your resilience, is something I am grateful for. What a powerful reminder that I must count my blessings re my own health.

Your experiences

are solid instructions for us all.

Sounds like you’re doing ok and you’re making progress, and that’s good. Congratulations.

ETA: grammar :roll_eyes:

19 Likes

Looks at The Lancet.

Looks at Boris.

But… how would we tell?

Funny, right before I clicked on this, it had 45 likes.

1 Like

I honestly think that an effective way to get Trump supporters to take the vaccine would be to offer a free $10 scratch-off lottery ticket with the vaccine. I know that some states have had success with random million dollar drawings but I think scratch-off tickets would be a big draw to Trump’s demographic.

2 Likes

The recent research showing that CFS and fibromyalgia are likely autoimmune in source was a twist I wasn’t expecting.

Out of curiosity, I looked up a long covid group page and the similarities between it and my autoimmune group are immediate. MCAS seems to be a particularly common symptom along with fatigue. I wouldn’t wish on anyone (well almost anyone), but I’m hopeful that the long covid research will help those with autoimmune disorders as well.

4 Likes

You’re more optimistic than me, as you think there might be an end to it.
What with climate change and other crises, this would have been a good era for people to get a little smarter. Wondering if this is something we’ll see down the road. Lead–crime hypothesis - Wikipedia

3 Likes

That drop may not be far for some anti-vaxxers…

#NeverVoteRepublican

1 Like

They tested Covid sufferers against a control group and found the Covid sufferers tended to have a lower IQ? Is this an effect of catching Covid, or is catching Covid an effect of lower IQ, or is it the result of the people most exposed to Covid and less likely to have ever had to do an IQ test before?

As soon as they approve it for age 3, we get my kiddo vaccinated. Until then, we just have to do our best, mask up and cross our fingers. F*ck those who won’t get vaccinated.

10 Likes

Thank you for this. The current trend of media jumping on every preliminary crappy survey, p-hacked mess, or meta-analysis of noise as though it’s settled science is really damaging. BB is probably no worse than other outlets in this regard, but definitely no better.

I gave up posting some version of your comment on every one of these articles because I got tired of going in and actually reading all these crappy papers everyone keeps panicking about.

4 Likes

The paper makes an argument about the direction of causation being that covid causes the cognitive issues but it isn’t particularly convincing to me.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.