One of the CIA's waterboarding torturers called himself "The Preacher" and shouted religious nonsense while performing executions

I realise this point has already been made, but for the sake of historical nerdery:

Etc.

6 Likes

Mitchell Jessen and Associates received $81 million on contract from the CIA to carry out debriefings of detainees and to develop and conduct so-called “enhanced interrogation techniques”

called himself “The Preacher” and shouted religious nonsense while performing executions

Only Samuel L Jackson gets to do this.

3 Likes

And he didn’t even do it; that’s not a real bible verse, any more than ‘Jules Winfield’ (as portrayed in that film) is a real person.

5 Likes

Mod Note: Reminder that per our community guidelines, we don’t support posts that encourage violence against anyone, because reasons.

Thank you.

3 Likes

By drowning, oh please, oh please, oh please? :roll_eyes:

1 Like

it occurs to me, if the only way protect your country is to torture some one person… you’ve got some pretty shit intelligence operatives

1 Like

It isn’t about intel, it’s about creating terror. The cruelty is the point.

OTOH, would it really be less offensive if it worked? Is “does this effectively enhance the power of the empire?” a relevant ethical factor?

3 Likes

He actually did a whole movie as a government torturer

It seems to mean well, with the moral being “torture = bad,” but the main effect of watching it is to desensitize oneself to atrocities, so that the “moderate” violence employed earlier in the film doesn’t seem like such a big deal by the end

2 Likes

The lack of effectiveness undercuts arguments claiming its necessity, I think. The moral dimension is separate…

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.