One of the many terrible things about the Titan submersible is the bizarre seating arrangement

Originally published at: One of the many terrible things about the Titan submersible is the bizarre seating arrangement | Boing Boing

7 Likes

I know it’s the least of their problems, but where’s the bathroom in that thing?

11 Likes

Aren’t they only meant to go down for a few hours, at most? If so, do they really need one if that’s the case?

10 Likes

Not where I was expecting:

13 Likes

A literal bucket behind a curtain. I saw the sub in person a couple years ago and it was claustrophobic even with the door open and sun shining outside.

The owner did acknowledge that there were some less than dignified moments on that front, and there were no fans to turn on to freshen up the air.

17 Likes

For some reason this reminds me of rearranging the deck chairs on the Titanic.

7 Likes

Boing Boing: A Directory of Mostly Waking Nightmares.

17 Likes

Tbf, no DSV has dignified toilet arrangements. They’re much like spacecraft in that regard

8 Likes

…read that there are several ways to jettison the ballast and float to the surface. people can rock the craft and dump the ballast, there’s some sort of pneumatic means to do so, and lastly after some time point (~days) the method of tying on the ballast ‘dissolves’ (?) and again the vessel should float to the surface. (one ref)

so… doesn’t that mean that it’s either already on the surface (and elsewhere), or the hull has been ruptured, or it’s stuck under something? (here’s hoping they didn’t attempt to enter the wreck itself) -sigh-

8 Likes

Maybe they just need to wait for the squid to get bored?

13 Likes

The more I learn about this “vehicle” the more I am reminded of a favorite phrase from my late father-in-law: “This strikes me as a sin without temptation.”

15 Likes

Oy gevalt… all of it.

5 Likes

At least they had chairs!

12 Likes

The only ‘advantage’ of that submersible is the (dangerously untested) very large porthole to look out. This is the exact spot they put the toilet (with no exhaust fan). So the ‘best’ seat is also the worst. And when in use, no one else can see out the window.

7 Likes

(source)

Jokes aside, I hope they survive. I am mildly claustrophobic and being in something like that for 5 minutes would set me off.

3 Likes

Billionare: Pardon me, pilot. I know you’re in the middle of a dangerous maneuver navigating around the wreckage, but would you please step away from the lone porthole long enough for me to take a dump?"
Sub Pilot/CEO: Actually, this isn’t the best time…
Billionaire (agitated): I paid you hundreds of thousands of dollars for this trip, and that was not a request!

1 Like

Fortunately there are centuries of maritime tradition allowing the captain to tell anyone to fuck off!

1 Like

At least six threads and counting.

You saw the movie Titanic, right?

(The OceanGate CEO does not strike me as being more safety-concious than Captain Smith was)

2 Likes

I must admit I haven’t really seen it. I find Cameron a bit bloated and boring. I’ve kind of seen bits of it on the telly. The dialogue you quoted does seem depressingly like the kind of thing these bros might say to each other.

2 Likes