Online privacy tips for 2019

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/03/22/online-privacy-tips-for-2019.html

4 Likes

No mention of Facebook in that article? If you don’t delete your Facebook, all privacy tips for 2019 in there are moot.

12 Likes
  1. Never reveal your name online.
10 Likes

Came here to make sure this was mentioned and was not disappointed. #deletefacebook

2 Likes

Kathy Padilla, is that you? :wink:

8 Likes

It’s merely my legend. Tradecraft darling.

Cyril Figgis:
OK, so human intelligence entails what exactly?

Sterling Archer:
Well there’s false flags, dead drops, drop outs, cut outs, active doubles, passive doubles, dangled moles. The often under appreciated honeypot. One of my favorites.

Cyril Figgis:
Wow, sounds like a lot to cover.

Sterling Archer:
Yeah, so we may have to gloss over… almost all of it.

6 Likes

one thing that sucks is 1.1.1.1 breaks a lot of captive portals (which like to use it as their interal addy to host the sign in page) :frowning_face:

3 Likes

cloudflare (still) supports alt-right sites, make your own choice for DNS server:

CEO is a free speech absolutist.

1 Like

cloud flare is a dns provider they don’t host any content. That’s like saying you’re boycotting the yellow book because they listed a KKK chapter.

Also there’s a law called the communications decency act that gives a lot of protection to site operators and infrastructure providers- if you start moderating instead of just removing illegal content you can end up in bad situations like being sued for libel because a site listed in your phone book (DNS server) was being bad and they think you’re more likely to pay a judgement

2 Likes

so we each dislike cloudflare for different reasons. I use Open DNS. Which do you use ?
Cloudflare does more that just DNS:Cloudflare, Inc. is a U.S. company that provides content delivery network services, DDoS mitigation, Internet security and distributed domain name server services. Cloudflare’s services sit between the visitor and the Cloudflare user’s hosting provider, acting as a reverse proxy for websites.

I dislike them for their support of Alt-right sites, not just DNS, see above paragraph

1 Like

Thanks for explaining Cloudflare to me, but I am aware of what they offer. I assumed, since we were discussing DNS, your beef was with their DNS connecting people to sites like 8chan.

I don’t dislike Cloudflare - I dislike my library’s improperly configured captive portal which uses the same IP as their DNS, thus breaking the internet for anyone who uses Cloudflare’s DNS.

As I previously mentioned, the communications decency act provides strong protections to services that serve all, but that protection is weakened if they move beyond merely barring illegal content and into policing speech someone can call their 3rd party immunity into question.

Cloudflare doen’t *support" the alt-right, they just provide services literally anyone can use.

Your beef is with the hosting companies that choose to sell server space, not the company that provides anti-DDOS protection to a number of dissident sites and chooses not to put that ability at risk to score political points.

3 Likes

Throw your computer in the river.

2 Likes

Install and use a Pi-Hole.

3 Likes

Is there any reason I shouldn’t be using Opera? For the last couple years…

Makes you a field agent. Can’t believe you would let anyone “run” you.

2 Likes

I do it for Philadelphia.

Also - that bastard George Smiley still has “those pictures”.

4 Likes

Oops.

Mind you, my profile name could be an elaborate quadruple bluff or something…

Also, which one of these could I be?:

(well, obviously probably not one of the first two, or the 5th one…)

Let’s reverse image search my avatar!:

Hmm. OK, reach for the super secret AI…

Busted!

But seriously: I just skimmed my post history and realised (i) I talk about myself too much, and found (ii) I could figure out my age (though not directly referenced), a town I have lived in, and a photo.

However, I think it would still be extremely difficult to dig out much more info about me from any trace I leave online. I need to read the quoted article, but my experiments with script blockers etc in the past have always been a lesson in frustration - seems like you either have to spend many hours tuning them to allow the stuff you do want to see, or accept that these techniques break sites in ways that can make them unusable.

While I have an Arsebook account I very rarely go on there. I’d just rather interact with people IRL, and keep touch via email and calls.

And even if I did implement all these methods, I’ve already left a complex digital trail out there. And unless these tools mask all those ‘useful’ bits of info sent as part of browsing requests (browser used, source IP, country, OS type and version number, and even screen resolution) would that mean I have to change my computer and start using a VPN to have any hope of not being ID’ed?

2 Likes

Moscow Rules rule.

2 Likes

My money is on @KathyPartdeux to know Karla’s birth name.

4 Likes

I only knew him as Galen.
Sorry

3 Likes