Only 35% of Uber/Lyft riders always tip

Yeah, that example is IN the US (GA, WA, & TX)

it’s as if these rituals really aren’t about the recipients at all, and are instead an opportunity for patrons to practice performative generosity in front of each other

1 Like

No, I’ve worked shitty jobs before, and I know what it’s like. Now that I’m in a better place I’d like to give back. It’s not about my ego, it’s about basic human empathy.

2 Likes

@clifyt is talking about grocery stores, who pay their baggers and cashiers a minimum wage (at least) – no tipping.

Restaurants, food trucks, drivers… they aren’t paid a minimum wage because of our stupid wage structure. As long as those people survive by their far-below-minimum-wage salary being supplemented by tips, we tip.

I’m sorry that you don’t really understand how tipping works, or why it’s practiced, but until you do, please don’t use services that involve tipping if you refuse to.

Having been a bagger, that’s not true. Some states let places like grocery stores bring on kids under-16 for jobs like bagging, carrying things to cars, etc and they’re paid in tips (since they can’t be hired, per se). But employees over 16 are paid a wage.

2 Likes

Are you trying to gaslight me?

Please stop.

Apparently you don’t know what “gaslighting” is, the same way you don’t understand how tipping works.

No, I’m not. I’m explaining to you that your facts are wrong and that you aren’t going to change our crappy tipping system by withholding tips. To be clear: you don’t understand why under-16 baggers are paid only in tips. That’s not gaslighting. That’s explaining a fact.

You literally just said I didn’t see what I saw.

I saw young folks bagging, I saw older folks bagging, I saw signs that stated “our baggers are paid only with tips”, and I had conversations with them about it.

You’re gaslighting and, in an amusing recursion, gaslighting about gaslighting.

Stop it.

Also, you fail at even gaslighting. Assuming that I’m wrong and you’re right (bad assumption, but allow it for the moment); reconcile this;

You clearly know it IS true since you merely restated what I said.

Honestly, if you don’t understand how your economy works, don’t participate in it :roll_eyes:

Congrats, folks;

Shitshow achievement, unlocked.

4 Likes

According to a new working paper co-authored by renowned University of Chicago economist John List, Uber customers tip on roughly 16% of rides. Those who do tip add an average of $3.11, about 26% of their fare.

However, the paper also found that nearly 60% of ride-share customers never tip, while only about 1% always tip.

slapfight

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.