Op-ed recommendation: Why white women must make the equal-pay fight more inclusive

Movies aren’t a great example because what you’re paid isn’t based on skill, seniority or education, but on your drawing power. How much money will your presence in the movie bring in revenue vs how much will it cost to get you into the movie?

Not true. Remember when that Sony email hack revealed that Jennifer Lawrence was paid less than her male co-stars even though she was the biggest star in the cast?

22 Likes

I would love someone to tell me to my face that Ashton Kutcher is a bigger draw than Natalie Portman.

19 Likes

It would be real helpful is more men stepped up and did half the house work and didn’t treat childcare as “baby sitting” when it’s their own children, for one. how about more comprehensive health care that covers all the extra things women have to get? Maybe family leave for everyone, regardless of what field one is working in? [quote=“namenotreserved, post:26, topic:98466”]
but it seems like you have one foot in and one out.
[/quote]

So, basically, we have to make choices men often aren’t forced to make (make sure our children and elders are taken care of) and it’s still on us? Or rather, carry on the human race and forget having meaningful work out side of that, or forget carrying on the human race?

16 Likes

Well, after all, taking care of families isn’t REAL work, so why should we account for it? /s

17 Likes

What other issues? If you want things to be priced in some non-market fashion, well, that’s not capitalism. I’m not the one that suggested that.

Also, negotiate like a man, get called a bitch and not get the job. Or just take what you’re give, and get less than a man.

21 Likes

No. You’re the one that suggested the argument was really only about capitalism, which you are still doing.

8 Likes

Because child bearing and raising is not valued. The one thing that women can do is not valued. Why do you think that might be?

12 Likes

Yes, I think so. If this were you and a colleague, who you came into your job at the same time, did the same work, and you were both equally good at what you did, but that other person STILL got paid more than you, are you telling me, you’d just shrug your shoulders and accept it?

13 Likes

Are you sure he doesn’t sell three times as many tickets? These are obscenely wealthy people who pay a lot of money to people to negotiate on their behalf. It seems rather unlikely that they’re leaving money on the table.

Others demanded a non-market means to setting wages. That makes it about capitalism.

Vary narrowly.

4 Likes

How could it be anything else?

That seems incredibly unlikely. And with all due respect to Bradley Cooper, it’s hard to imagine that he had more box office draw in 2013 than the star of the Hunger Games films.

So now we’ve moved from “maybe women just aren’t willing or able to negotiate as well as men” to “maybe every female star in Hollywood just happens to have a crappy agent.”

19 Likes

Even Engel’s argued that the first major division of labor was between men and women, the first social oppression, in other words.

12 Likes

But… he had a dick? How can he not? :wink:

9 Likes

That’s literally the opposite of what I said.

Presumably everyone’s agent is extracting as much money as possible for their clients. Presumably film producers are trying to make films that return as much money as possible. The only place there’s room for sexism there is in what the public at large will buy a ticket for.

There is plenty of room for sexism everywhere… trust me.

15 Likes

You seem to be under the mistaken impression that Hollywood uses a rational, objective formula to base compensation on box office draw regardless of gender, race or other factors. In reality we live in a world where Adam Sandler is consistently one of the most overpaid actors in Hollywood regardless of how many expensive box-office bombs he stars in.

Forbes runs the numbers every year to see which actors are the most overpaid based on box office returns per dollar of salary paid. Most years there aren’t even any women in the top 10. (Julia Roberts was the lone exception for the 2016 list).

15 Likes