Open primaries? Democratic establishment bars anyone who challenges an incumbent from using the party's Votebuilder database

It sounds like the insurgents need a little momentum on their side.

1 Like

You know who is even more culpable for abuse? The people actually doing it. The post says the DNC is the one cutting off access while saying nothing about the state parties who are the direct bad actors. That is at best very misleading about what is actually going on.

2 Likes

Yeah, I was just about to say: I smell a hack brewing!

My experience with NGP VAN leads me to believe that ‘quality’ is not quite the right word.

2 Likes

The GOP has far juicier secrets.

2 Likes

Probably better to buy a database that’s not controlled by the Democratic establishment, then.

1 Like

Didn’t their voter database, or some sizable percentage of it leak a while back?

Asking for a friend.

1 Like

That’s been obvious from the second that they forced Perez to recant his admission that the primary was rigged.

Cool.

Might I suggest something to do in addition?

https://denverdsa.org

3 Likes

There’s a weird ring of truth to that- the older canvassers had the hardest times reaching ID goals. (oh, and usually we’d arrive to whatever neighborhood we were canvassing in a van, so there’s that.)

2 Likes

It would be very wrong to rephrase it that way. Primary elections and caucuses are arranged by the state parties, according to their rules and they’re damned if they’re going to let the DNC run the show (or for that matter the RNC in the case of Republicans). For as long as there have been parties in the US it has been the state party organizations that ultimately decide on the whos and hows of the process by which nominees are selected (local, state and federal). The DNC can’t directly force state parties to change their rules and policies, though they can sanction them until they change their ways. Many of these rules can’t be changed at a whim either, you actually need state party delegates to vote on them, Which is just as well, because if the DNC chairperson could change everything with a dictatorial wave of the hand, then that could lead to a really corrupt process. So be happy that the system is actually fairly decentralized and that the DNC is not as powerful as people imagine it to be.

5 Likes

https://twitter.com/peoplevolunteer/status/939903019109433344

2 Likes

Prospective candidates should just try john.podesta@gmail.com and password

2 Likes

Does being a democrat in a safe seat make you likely to swing to the right because I am pretty sure the opposite is true.

Oh look at that

So yes. There’s a direct correlation, the safer the seat, the more leftwing the congressman. Stop making shit up Cory.

5 Likes

A bit of backstory missing from Cory’s post is that last year the Sanders campaign hacked VoteBuilder and grabbed data from the Clinton account, which was… let’s say naughty on their part. In retaliation DWS then had NGP bar the Sanders campaign from accessing any part of VoteBuilder, even the part of the database that they (Sanders) had built, which was naughty on DWS’s part.

The problem here is this. While it is now clear clear that detailed voter demographic data is extremely useful in several ways in campaigns, for example allowing for Moneyball-style strategizing, it is really a relatively new phenomenon. There are several companies specializing in this data collection and analysis (NGP is just one of them) but the industry is in the shake-out phase, which means we can probably expect there to be just 2 or 3 in a few years time. When candidates just chose a data company on their own the question of whether opponents should have access to their data didn’t arise. However, once parties have chosen to centralize on a particular company (like NGV/VoteBuilder), and the latter has access to data collected by many candidates’ campaigns as well as from the Party, it becomes a difficult question as to whether any of the information gleaned from the hard work of one candidate should be available to their opponent. In the absence of some sort of firewall, a long-sitting incumbent would have incentive (and resources!) to not share their data, which would preserve their advantage over the challenger at the cost of depriving the Party of the useful material to use against the GOP once the primary was over. Of course, the firewall they have in place now - approval from party officials favoring incumbents - is the worst possible situation, as it denies the challenger access to both the incumbent’s data and other Party data to which the incumbent might have access

I don’t see a clear solution for this, but I’ll bet there is some resource-sharing protocol out there from some radically different field that could be adapted here.

“Hacked” and “Grabbed” isn’t really what happened

4 Likes

dnominate has strange definitions of “liberal” and “conservative”. They are based almost solely on partisanship.

3 Likes

Come up with a better stat if you don’t like mine. I don’t think you can agree with republicans and be left wing.

It’s marginal states where you get triangulation, because the electorate (and candidate pool) in general is less liberal and you need every last vote. The grand old men of the left, your Sanders and Corbyn types, are all safe seaters.

DW Nominate would have us believe that

the most conservative thing to do would be to stand in solidarity with your rightwing colleagues.
the most liberal thing to do would be to stand in solidarity with your leftwing colleagues.

without actually examining the policies involved.

If you actually read liberal theory (as in “let’s design a social contract that enforces a concept of the just”), standing in solidarity is not how liberals are supposed to act.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.