Open source clones of classic video games

Originally published at: Open source clones of classic video games - Boing Boing

8 Likes

Excuse me for a moment while I simp for probably the best version of Elite (and it’s remakes/clones) in the Cooperative. (And that includes Elite Dangerous.)

Oolite has come a long, long way, and there are a huge number of mods, skins, and other add-ins (missions, flavor, etc.) that can all be put in- so much so that members of that community have built a launcher to help manage game versions and the expansion packs.

it’ll run on low spec hardware (I have a Thinkpad T410 that it’ll run on, just… not well, due to the built-in GPU of that system), and the save game files are cross-platform compatible. (meaning that you can park the save files in a cloud-synced folder and have the same saved game available anywhere)

Now if you’ll excuse me, I need to schlep my mixed load of cargo from this industrial world to an agricultural world, and not get blasted by the Thargoids in the process.

8 Likes

Trying to understand the web site.
Are the games available for download and playing on Windows platforms?
If so, how?

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.