Oracle wins bid to "partner" with Tik Tok in the U.S.

And his own island -

When I say ‘fun’ and ‘whimsy’ who doesn’t immediately think of Larry Ellison and Oracle?

1 Like

Oracle Stories:

I worked (97 - 2000) at the Advanced Server Division, based in 500 Oracle Parkway, a few floors below Ellison’s office.

When Ellison’s net worth topped Bill Gate’s (temporarily, as it happened) he treated the entire company to special showings of the just-released “Godzilla,” at a theater in Redwood City.

The group’s managers jokingly suggested a contest, for additional signage for Ellison’s reserved parking spot, which random people kept using. The winner: “Exit Interview Parking.”

A few months before the surprise sell-off of the division, we got an “audience” of sorts with Ellison. The table in rear of the meeting room where we waited (and waited) had the usual assortment of free soda pop.

A table at the front of the room had an octogonal black plastic tub filled with shaved ice, and FANCY sodas. Boutique root beer, Orangina, that sort of thing. A few of us, being entitled high-tech silicon valley developers used to this sort of thing, helped ourselves. I got a root beer and an Orangina.

After a while a flak came in. “Mr. Ellison will be right down. Feel free to enjoy some sodas. Those, back there. The bottles in the black octogon are for Mr. Ellison.”

HOLY CRAP. WE HAD DRUNK LARRY ELLISON’S SPECIAL SODA.

Well. He didn’t notice. Didn’t drink any of the stuff during his rah-rah speech.

Man, I really cherished that leftover Orangina.

3 Likes

Someone very close to me was once close to Ellison and asserts that he’s a ruddy asswipe.

2 Likes
1 Like

I don’t blame you, it’s delicious.

2 Likes

Isn’t it relatively clear that Trump’s issue with Tiktok is not China, but Tiktok’s users? If Oracle owns US Tiktok, it won’t punish the K-Pop fans on Tiktok for the Tulsa rally, which is what Trump really wants, no?

More likely, their licensing dept. I handled my company’s renewals and, hoo boy.

I’m picturing the next tiktok viral as stans digging through corporate trash bins.

1 Like

I’m an old person who has no idea what tik tok is - how does any of this affect me? Is it something that will go away when the next “big thing” happens? Or is it something that will rule the world and I will be pounding my head on the wall lamenting that I didn’t do it sooner?

It’s like Vine, but in Pog form!

Pog? Like the milk caps? WTF is with kids these days?

Zero surprise there.

Just from the article summary, only US users’ interests will be “secured”, which I find hilarious. All this does is put the data in the NSA column rather than the China three letter (?) agency hands. I dunno, from the lip service, I’d rather see the EU handle it.

1 Like
1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.