Orange Alert

To “Kellyanne Says?”

2 Likes

I was half expecting it to include something about inbound missiles.

Yellowstone supervolcano eruption.

1 Like

One word: “Covfefe”.

2 Likes

As per my earlier allusion above (thanks to @Celandine_Crane who seems to have got it), perhaps loyal, but certainly unkind.
(An unkindness of ravens - it’s the group noun.)

1 Like

Surprised no one’s said this yet: the declaration of martial law if the Dems take back control of Congress next month, natch!

2 Likes

Or they do it the day before the elections, possibly with a Reichstag fire type incident which “temporarily delays” elections.

1 Like

The same reason that CONELRAD and the Emergency Broadcast, then Emergency Alert system were put into place.

2 Likes

If it were just EBS for phones, that suggests the answer is “nothing” on the national level beyond “ooops, nuclear war with Russia,” as EBS was never used nationally. Although it’s not just a continuation of CONELRAD/EBS for phones - the “Presidential Alert” system was first put in place for radio/television broadcasts, so it’s an additional thing. Which just confuses me further.

OBAMAlert!

There are other kinds of attacks that could warrant it, a large enough environmental disaster or weather related disaster…

People pay more attention to their phones now than they do other forms of media.

2 Likes

Sure, that makes sense on a local/state/regional level, but national? It’s specifically the targeting of the entire country at once, for urgent messages that baffles me.

Sure. But I don’t get why the EBS isn’t being ported over to target phones, instead of giving us “presidential” alerts. (Also, the nature of cell carriers seems to throw some problems into the mix - my mother finally got the text this afternoon, and I still haven’t gotten it, thanks presumably to the lousy carrier we both use.)

1 Like

The Orange Alerts are only going to get better:

So much winning

1 Like

I think all of those things could have national consequences. During 9/11 itself, it was not clear where else was being targeted. It very well could have been larger, with other urban centers being targeted.

President is head of the executive branch, and FEMA is part of that.

2 Likes

This is not a test.
Trump really is the President.

1 Like

Happy to say, I never received the alert.
At least to my knowledge. I keep the phone on silent so all calls and alerts are just haptics via my watch. Never felt anything, never saw a missed notification on the phone.
Given our era of endemic, mass stupidity, I believe it’s entirely possible that the system suffers from a flawed design – like, nothing happens if a phone’s on silent. So, you know, I guess in case of a true emergency, the polite and private will be screwed.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.