Order a northern lights wake-up call at the push of a hotel room phone's button

Originally published at: Order a northern lights wake-up call at the push of a hotel room phone's button | Boing Boing

2 Likes

Most small Icelandic hotels will give you a call if the aurora is spotted in the vicinity - just ask at reception.

There’s nothing quite as bracing as getting out of a nice warm bed and stepping into the bitter cold of a midwinter night. I recommend getting dressed first - though if you choose the right place, there is nothing quite like sitting in a geothermal pool whilst the sky goes completely bonkers.

6 Likes

Several apps out there to track conditions optimal for aurora. The one recommended to me by our Icelandic host is called Hello Aurora

5 Likes

4 Likes

That’s a good one.

Also make sure you have checked vedur.is for the forecast (quick tip - it’ll be raining) and if you intend to drive anywhere DO NOT ignore the warnings on: safetravel.is - it’s a small country, but away from Reykjavík, very sparsely populated and the weather conditions can turn savage in a few minutes.

3 Likes

And sometimes Chalmers does get to see it.

3 Likes

I use the SMS service from SpaceWeather.com. it works pretty well.

My phone was getting alerts last week, but alas it was overcast in Illinois. Aurora was visible as far south as New Mexico

https://spaceweather.com/

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.