Oregon has twice as many weed shops as liquor stores and the regulators are overwhelmed

If Texas ever goes legal (and that’s a big if) we are going to kill the market those snowy states have right now. I’d wager you’ll see ounces at < $50 pre-tax.

1 Like

Maybe the regulators are overwhelmed because they are understaffed? :thinking:

6 Likes

Massachusetts’ recreational stores become legal as of July 1 (or close to it, as licenses are processed).

Unfortunately, despite 70% of the very liberal voters of my city approving recreational weed, our ancient aldermen have put an indefinite moratorium on it. They’ve agreed to reconsider on December 1 (which likely means another indefinite moratorium).

I remember going to a city hearing a few years back in which these same old men argued against approving a Mexican restaurant because “Mexicans get drunk and play mariachi music late at night”, so I guess it’s not surprising.

6 Likes

I found out recently that Texas does allow medical marijuana at the very least but the conditions to qualify for that are pretty strict from what i had read. I suppose it’s a step in the right direction but i’d also like to see it legalized here recreationally in TX. At the very least make it to where not just extreme medical cases can have access to pot, as someone that suffers from anxiety i’d like to be able to have an alternative to the standard medications for it.

1 Like

Well, CBD oil anyway. More precisely, if you are a long time Texas resident, an epilepsy sufferer, and you see one of the 18 approved doctors, try at least two of the FDA approved anti seizure medications without success, then you can get low THC medical grade CBD oil at one of the three dispensaries.

2 Likes

Many years ago, I was somewhere in the Northeast (MA?). I went into a grocery store, wandered around forever, and finally asked a worker where I could find beer. He said there was a liquor store two blocks to the South (and walked away). I thought he was the biggest &$^% ever, until someone else explained that grocery stores couldn’t sell booze. I had never heard of such a thing (all my previous travels had been < 21 yo).

In my state you can buy any kind of booze at any grocery store, convenience store, drug store, gas station, daycare, etc.

3 Likes

Every year or so, an issue makes it onto local ballots about selling beer & wine (or even just wine) in grocery stores, because it’s incredibly stupid to have to go to a separate store to buy wine for a recipe. It always fails.

Every state I’ve lived in has had separate stores for liquor (either privately-owned or state-run); it’s very bizarre to visit someplace like California where one can buy a bottle of rum along with your groceries like it’s an everyday thing to do.

7 Likes

Well… let’s call it an “every-other-day” thing to do… it’s not like I have a problem :neutral_face:

9 Likes

The theater and University town of Ashland Oregon has at least three dispensaries and only one liquor store, that closes at 7, 8 on Friday and Saturday. I heard stories that people would drive the hour and a half round trip over the pass into California to buy liquor after those hours.

Suffice to say I was astonished. In my Jersey County no alcohol can be sold in groceries at all, the zillion small liquor stores close at 10, but you can take a package of beer or booze out of a bar. Our Trader Joe’s is dry!

1 Like

It doesn’t get more remote than Fields, OR, and they’ve got a OLCC store.

2 Likes

Welcome to Eugene
Population: 420

1 Like

Yes.

3 Likes

I just bought [San Diego] a half OZ for $25 smackeroos, yeah it was shake, but Romulan GrapeFruit shake.

We use it purely for medicinal purposes, and do not operate machinery of any type whilst enjoying.

8 Likes

How about $12?

The good news is the black market is not very profitable in the state. No one wants Mexican ragweed when you can get the good stuff for cheaper

4 Likes

I’m operating heavy machinery, etc etc…

4 Likes

Yep. PA only allows beer to be sold in bars (bars have back rooms where they sell 6 packs), and they have special liquor stores.

NC only sells wine and beer in grocery stores and liquor in liquor stores.

*presumes one can buy booze legally. Which I suspect our new crustacean members here mostly cannot.

2 Likes

I said in high school if they legalized it, it would dry up drug dealers, as no one in the previous black market would out compete “Walmart” - whomever turns out to be the weed version of walmart. And supported by that will be the artisinal weed maker - the Starbucks and micro brews of the weed world for the wealthy.

3 Likes

Eugene OR resident here, and it is far more than 2:1 here. I would hazard a guess there are more dope stores than fast food joints. I do not really have a dog in this fight, since I do not frequent liquor stores, or dope stores, or fast food joints. But, it is a curious situation. I just sort of wait for the the Feds and big corporate money to roll in. “Two all beef patties, bla bla bla, and a doobie…”

1 Like

You’d need federal legalization to do that. Currently each state is an island unto itself - no interstate commerce is allowed. All weed must be grown and sold in-state.

1 Like

Yeah but changes in federal law is going to come at some point.