Organized Hawaiian SPAM thievery

Baby formula, toothpaste, razors, and Tylenol are all high theft items. But what do they have in common? They’re easy to resell, and hard to trace.

These items are being stolen to order on behalf of crime rings. The organizers have produced shoplifting lists of items to steal, along with a list of prices they will pay. They then enlist desperate junkies, or anyone with few morals and little to lose, to take the shoplifting risk and mule the goods out of the stores. Upon delivering them to the waiting ring member, they get paid in cash.

As for the stolen merchandise? The mob resells it to bodegas or other small stores. The merchandise is often resold through channels that look like legitimate wholesalers. One such organization was so successful that they operated a warehouse in which they repackaged the stolen goods into pristine cardboard boxes, sealed them with an industrial tape machine, then used delivery trucks to ship them. To the bodega owner, they arrived exactly like any other products they ordered, it just cost them a bit less than their normal channels.

If you buy these goods deliberately, you should know they were not handled with care at any point after having been stolen. They could have been exposed to high heat, moisture, mold, or worse.

3 Likes

Those bastards at the Green Midget Café will resort to anything to get their supply.

The inevitable war movie? Spamburger Hill

1 Like

A “me too” here to the Spam Musubi comments above. On hols in Japan right now (currently listening to Typhoon Lan assault my hotel), and tried them for the first time at Fukuoka Oktoberfest - O to the M to the G it was good.

But then my mum also used to make it as battered fritters occasionally when we were kids - so I guess I was already well prepared :grinning:.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.