Organized Hawaiian SPAM thievery

Spam musubi!

Srsly, people swipe the darndest things, and other people will buy them. For several months, there was a problem with people stealing laundry detergent and selling it for drug money. When a container of Tide goes for $18 undiscounted and someone sells it out of the back of their beach cruiser for $10-12, there’s a market.

7 Likes

4 Likes

Now I haz craving for tinned ox-tongue sammich. Damn you all .

Pancakes with SPAM instead of bacon was a fairly regular (or at least ‘not unusual’) breakfast food when I was a kid. My dad adores the stuff and so it appeared at meals as much as any other sort of salty-fatty-meat-you-don’t-eat-often (i.e., bacon, scrapple, goetta).

Unfortunately it was also the star of the single worst food in my mom’s dinner arsenal, Spam Orange Bake. She’d slice a tin of Spam, arrange it in a baking dish, scatter lots of raisins on top as well as orange slices, and cover the whole thing in a thin layer of orange juice and bake it. It must have come from an old Woman’s Day or Family Circle.

1 Like

I am happy – no, delighted – to inspire you with further nostalgic recollections.

4 Likes

Some clues exist in another story about an unassuming product commonly stolen in huge amounts:

http://nymag.com/news/features/tide-detergent-drugs-2013-1/

Welcome to BoingBoing!

1 Like

Other products stolen at large quantities to flip on the black market have been honey, maple syrup and even hair extensions.

Yup. Anything with a decent combination of demand, ease of theft and resale value.

1 Like

These are incredible, and I am so very glad my mom never discovered these ads.

These must have been from the mid-40s, with their references to ration points and being patriotic by eating SPAM.

1 Like

Ugh. Everyone knows you’re supposed to suspend the spam, raisins, and orange slices in jello.

2 Likes

I did not know they were such big fans of D&D

2 Likes

They love SPAM in Okinawa as well.

1 Like
1 Like

Oh, is that what “Tide’s in, dirt’s out” refers to…

The way my mom prepared SPAM was to sprinkle brown sugar on slices of it and broil them. It was perfect—in one bite it handily covered what I jokingly refer to as The Three Major Food Groups: Salt, Sugar, and Grease.

On our birthdays we were allowed to choose the menu for the family dinner, and I cannot deny that one year I chose broiled SPAM.

5 Likes

I’m guessing that the low-sodium SPAM is only “low” when compared to regular SPAM?

1 Like

Yeah, that’s pretty much the case with everything. It’s a really severe diet, like 1/4 tsp of salt a day. And most food has some amount of salt in it naturally, especially meat, which we have to count too.

I’ve eaten all the ramen in the pantry, and am slowly working my way through the Marmite; ideally when she isn’t sadly watching me.

Time to switch off the water softener?

https://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-lifestyle/nutrition-and-healthy-eating/expert-answers/water-softeners-sodium/faq-20058469

It never occurred to before what the water softener was doing with all that salt until the brine tank overflowed last night.

1 Like

Heh, we could use a softener (Tucson), but don’t have one.