Out-of-control ice drill meets its match

My zadie was a small man, not much over 5’ tall. Once he tried using an electric floor polisher and it had him running in circles. Mom can no longer remember what floors he was trying to polish.

1 Like

Nah, just start another video with some of those magnet fishing guys retrieving it.

2 Likes

They do, but just like an outboard motor, the people who operate them rarely clip the cord to themselves.

3 Likes

Ask a rock drill operator

https://www.tate.org.uk/art/images/work/T/T00/T00340_10.jpg

1 Like

I wonder if that’s what the cord was that you can see whipping round near the start of the video. If that’s what it was they should have attached it to themselves.

That was my though as well. Something working on the same principal as one of these:
Although you could make it much simpler. Maybe just an electrical switch that would turn off the ignition.

2 Likes

All it takes is a spring-return throttle and a centrifugal clutch. Like a chainsaw or just about every other gas powered gizmo I can think of.

4 Likes

Look if you are coming, you better come correct.

2 Likes

I’ll hit it with this chair that I obviously stole from the local elementary school.

1 Like

Good thinking! But be aware that safety would be defeated very quickly. I like ice fishing and haunt a few forums where other ice-fishing people gather, and a large majority of them would see such a safety as an affront to their “freedoms”.

Along the same lines, I frequented heavy steel fabrication shops in my line of work. I once saw a very old, very large metal shear in operation with all but one safety defeated. Operator was supposed to press two foot switches and two hand switches to cycle the shear. Block of wood stuffed in each of the foot switches, electrical tape holding one of the hand switches down. Operator just had to press one button now! Freedom!

Gave me the willies watching it cut 1" plate steel. I didn’t ask if they’d ever had an accident.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.