Watch a reporter's surprise when he sees a truck behind him has rolled into a lake

Originally published at: Watch a reporter's surprise when he sees a truck behind him has rolled into a lake | Boing Boing

5 Likes

Truck all wet now.

19 Likes

Posted by u/rubberbootsandwetsocks

Username checks out

16 Likes

Oops. I haven"t seen someone mess up that bad, but saw a run a back tire off the ramp and then got stuck. It’s like $200 bucks or more to get a tow truck to pull you out of that mistake.

My dad is a pro at putting a boat in and out of water.

6 Likes

That’s just how they roll.

34 Likes

Big, fugly, expensive ass truck go bye-bye.

10 Likes

sleeping with the fishes.

10 Likes

Always use the e-brake. Always.

9 Likes

If I saw a vehicle submerging in the water my immediate reaction would be to make sure nobody was inside.

6 Likes

I wish the cameraman had stayed a bit more zoomed out to capture the reaction of the boat group. It looked pretty good from the little I saw.
As careless mistakes go, this one hits the sweet spot of being relatively harmless, physically (minus the environmental damage) but epic in scale.

11 Likes

Not liking this low budget remake of Risky Business.

8 Likes

Ok, I’m gonna ask… The post referred to it as the emergency brake and you seem to be doing the same…

Is this something I don’t know about? That what we UKians call the ‘handbrake’ (or, more recently, ‘parking brake’ as since they became electronic and no longer use a hand-operated lever, all the vehicle manufacturers use a red P on the button, and on the dashboard to tell you when it is on) you USians call the ‘emergency brake’?

You only use it in case of emergency? :wink:

7 Likes

mine too - but he might have seen that it went down with the driver’s side door wide open, making it obvious that the car was unoccupied. another clue: all the people nearby look unhappy but not frantic.

is a submersion like that a total loss? or, if they tow it out immediately could there be some salvage value?

I would think it would be loss just for the mold/mildew issue. How do you ever completely dry it before mold/mildew sets in? Even then, it’s going to leave salt, scum, and biological residue.

3 Likes

No, they’re one and the same. Honestly, I shouldn’t even call it the e-brake as it is properly the parking brake and calling it “emergency brake” implies it is only for use under certain circumstances.

10 Likes

Thanks, but @Carla_Sinclair also called it an emergency brake.

3 Likes

A newer car like that with computer components is probably a total loss. Things would be even worse if the engine was running and water was sucked into the air intake. Vintage cars would be much easier to repair due to the lack of technology components.

5 Likes

I guess the bigger question for the boaters … since it will take awhile for the tow truck to get there … should we still go fishing?

4 Likes

It might be a regional thing. Where I am, I most often hear parking brake, but when I lived down south, it was usually e-brake.
I have had to use it in a emergency only once (breaks totally went out as I came to an intersection. It was scary!), but I use it for parking all the time.

Pshaw, obviously! :wink:

6 Likes

Using it in an emergency is scary - you need to be going in an absolute straight line or else you will end up doing a ‘handbrake turn’ which is hard to control unless you’ve had practice. Even going straight, you are likely to end up in a handbrake turn. Using gears to slow down is often more effective - especially the higher the speed. But I guess if you are running out of distance coming up to an intersection it’s all hands to the pump brake.

(Is calling it a ‘break’ a regional thing, too? :wink: With full apologies - open goal I am congenitally unable to resist.)

2 Likes

Only when they break, edited to clarify :wink:

4 Likes