Watch as a poor soul calmly accepts an unfortunate outcome

Originally published at: Watch as a poor soul calmly accepts an unfortunate outcome | Boing Boing

2 Likes

Are we using “Gentleman” unironically here?

3 Likes

Sometimes a banana is just a banana. I changed it for you.

13 Likes

Huh, would you look at that

12 Likes

10 Likes

I’m glad that he learned to…

8 Likes

Godspeed little truck, run free, back to nature.

23 Likes

Many years ago my mini van broke down at the top of a freeway off ramp. I called for a tow truck. They sent a flatbed and as the guy was winching up the vehicle the cable or the winch or both broke and the van was on the way down the side of the freeway.

The driver at great risk to himself grabbed the cable and wrapped it around the tow truck bringing the van to a very quick stop down the embankment. He called for a second truck, they winched it up and got it loaded.

I stood there watching the entire time letting them do their job. After it was all loaded he came over and said “you’re remaining very calm”. I said you have insurance don’t you? The vehicle will be inspected for damage and repaired, right?

What’s there to get upset about, crap happens.

Surprisingly there was zero damage to the vehicle.

6 Likes

It belongs to the squirrels, now.

14 Likes

30 - 50 Feral Trucks

13 Likes

16 Likes
  1. So did he not put it in park? Was it still running? It didn’t look like that steep of an incline to go over the little concrete hump, but I guess it was.

2. Favorite “calmly accepts an unfortunate outcome” scene.

7 Likes

I delivered for pharmacies in a hilly part of town. Got to a place, guy came to the door and said “your car!” We both watched my clapped out Datsun back down his driveway unassisted but for the parking brake’s complicity.

6 Likes

No brakes. Not in park.

Was it a lemon & he wanted the insurance money?

2 Likes

24 Likes

All kidding aside, he did the sane and rational thing. Too many folks die trying to stop their runaway vehicles.

17 Likes

Related:

5 Likes

He’s not out of the woods yet…(literally):

7 Likes

Related breaking news…

New Girl Facepalm GIF by HULU

3 Likes

I once worked at a local car stereo / home theater store doing stereo / alarm installs.
Our garage doors had to be opened by hand (giant sliding pocket doors, no motors) and there was a slight incline in the parking lot leading to the garage. It was common practice to park a customer’s car in front of the doors then get out and open the garage.

In the three years I worked there I only had one incident like this:

Customer brings his lifted pickup to us to replace some blown speakers. I park it like normal in front of the doors, engine off, stick in neutral and parking brake set before I step out to unlock the garage. As I’m walking past the front bumper I hear something. I’m not even sure what it was I heard but it made me look back to see the truck now 5 feet away and rolling backward downhill.

I had left the driver door open thankfully, so I ran after it. I’m tall but the truck was lifted maybe 4 or 6 inches, meaning I had to catch up with it and then CLIMB up into the cab to stomp on the brake pedal. At the bottom of the lot is a guard-rail and beyond it some train tracks, I think the truck stopped maybe 2 car lengths away from smashing into the barrier.

The fucking customer had never bothered reconnecting the parking brake after lifting his ego-mobile. I’m seriously lucky I had as much room to roll as I did and that the truck didn’t swerve sideways into any parked cars.

I should’ve bitched the asshole out for handing me the keys without mentioning his parking brake didn’t work, but I didn’t want to admit I had nearly ruined the guys truck. /sigh.

11 Likes