Watch as a poor soul calmly accepts an unfortunate outcome

Sounds to me like failing to mention an important thing like that would make it his fault, no?

4 Likes

Quite probably. Doesn’t mean I thought of it at the time.

4 Likes

Still better than my learning experience as a 10-year old, when I disengaged the parking brake of a family friend’s VW bus in a “What does this do?” moment. :man_shrugging:

Luckily, the lot we were parked in was built as a shallow “V”, so it never actually touched any other vehicles before coming to rest in the valley part.

6 Likes

He should have told you but but… shouldn’t you leave a stick shift in first or reverse gear in case the brake fails especially on a hill?

6 Likes

Definitely. I tried to do someone a favor once when they parked on an incline and got out with it still in neutral. I saw it starting to roll and tried to grab the frame of the back door but it already had too much momentum going and the door hit a car next to it, flinging the door into my leg and leaving me with a hematoma the size of a softball bulging outta my shin. Stupid! This guy did the right thing. Well, except for leaving it in drive and getting out.

1 Like

Related?

2 Likes

This embed wants me to log into an instagram account I don’t have to watch this short video

I completely agree with you, but your sentence is missing a period. Between “account” and “I.”

I’m thinking us olds (I’m well on my way) just don’t get selfies as a last act. So fully agree there. Maybe these selfies are like scratching out a Last Will and Testament on a piece of bark, or naming your murderer in a scrawl in the sand. Taking a nice photo to appear in the obits section of the community paper.

And the mode: I don’t recall a prohibition against driving on thin ice as a section in the CC of Canada. It is more like a national pastime. Even me, a Vancouverite who has barely experienced a real Canadian winter, has done it. Tire tracks filling in with water on a snowy lake. Just keep going! #donttrythisathome #notgoingtodothatagain #wellmaybe

Your discovery about the brakes sabotaged the natural selection process. This happens way too often.

2 Likes

Personally, I want to be in Chicago some year when the lake freezes over and folks walk out over the ice to the caves.

1 Like

We’re only about 4 hours from Niagara Falls, we’ve taken day trips just to see the falls frozen. It’s very cool to see in person.

If the conditions are just right we get large ice formations on the Michigan side of Lake Michigan, never seen it in person though.

Here in Michigan it’s not illegal to drive on the ice but your insurance company will laugh if you go through and the cops will give you a reckless driving ticket if they see you driving on the ice in an unsafe manner.

I live on the water, every weekend the Coast Guard is flying around because of all the idiots out there. Once there is a foot or more of ice there will be hundreds of cars and several snowmobile race tracks set up.

The fun part is in the spring when big sheets will break off and float away with dozens of fisherman still on the ice. The Coast Guard wil rescue them but not their snowmobiles, 4 wheelers or fishing gear.

All that said, I’ve driven my car a couple miles out on the ice, haven’t done it recently because I’m old and a scared.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.