"Out of Home Advertising": the billboards that spy on you as you move through public spaces

T-Mobile’s 2G infrastructure is totally shut down. 3G may be shut down soon as they spin up 5G.

I haven’t found “chaff box” with the usual searches. Do you have a link?

That’s what I called it when I thought of it. (Named after radar chaff.) It seems obvious, so someone’s probably thought of it too and called it something else.

2 Likes

I do know that iPhones and Windows 10 devices have a “random MAC” feature for sending random MAC addresses when sending WiFi probe requests, specifically to prevent this kind of tracking.

Apple and Microsoft are both exuberantly claiming the moral high ground when it comes to protecting your privacy — from anyone who isn’t them, or isn’t paying them.

I have long been thinking of a making a device of confusion like this. If I do, may I steal your “chaff box” name?

Sure!

Some more notes:

• Apps like Kismet already do the MAC address snooping. Lift that code?
  • Add a MAC address list manager, and a routine to ping out AP queries using MACs from the list.
  • The WiFi needs to be able to use monitor mode. There is a patch for the RPiZW to allow that.
  • The “random MAC” features have been buggy for Android and iOS, and have allowed tracking. (See previous BB articles.)
  • Run it on Kali Linux for extra hacker points!
  • Extend it to do Bluetooth too, and go for a walk down at Sidewalk Labs.
2 Likes

It’s basically a measure of how much of an asshole you are

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.